You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move the path of a folder to external drive

When I click the 'Movies' folder in Finder I would like it to re-direct to a folder on my external HDD, this is quite easy in a Windows environment but I can not seem to see it on my Mac.

Does anyone have any ideas? - thank you in advance.

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 11:59 AM

11 replies

Jan 18, 2022 4:58 PM in response to aircanman

If you do not have access to your Home Folder you will need to go to the Menu Bar > Finder > Preferences > Side Bar and check the box next to the little house with your name next to it. Then open Finder in your dock, right click your Home folder and "Open In New Window." Next drag and drop the Shortcut (Alias) to the Home folder. That should give you what you want.

Jan 19, 2022 4:45 AM in response to aircanman

If you know how to do it, then why ask how? This has been confusing from the beginning. Many people have problems with Terminal, that is why I say it is difficult. I have been with MSDOS since it was in version 2.7. Apple since I built a lab using 30 Apple II E and a Macintosh server for a grade school where I volunteered ten school years. I've been in this a long time and try to help people doing things the "Easy" way.

Jan 19, 2022 7:04 AM in response to woodmeister50

Ok. Since macs ship with such a small amount of memory, I was going to use an external drive to store my 300gb of videos, 500gb of photos and purchased movies.

MacOS is about experience, so I want things like this to work when I click their corresponding icons in the sidebar of finder, and also make sure the Mac defaults to sending items to the correct location. In windows you can change the path and it will even move the files for you, in a Mac it’s a case of aliases. Also there’s iPhone backups which can be 200gb, this seems easier to do but still, it’s all about keeping it neat and close to the way it was designed

Move the path of a folder to external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.