You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Files Will Not Delete

iPad Files will not delete: I have 2 incomplete downloads on my iPad which the delete action does not remove. Both files are downloads via Safari that did not complete and the iPadOS files app shows they each are “Zero KB”. The error message I receive reads “…couldn’t be removed because it doesn’t exist.”. How do I remove these items? Please kindly advise if you know how to do this. Thank you for your time and assistance!

iPad Pro 10.5, iPadOS 14.8.1

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 2:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 8:00 PM

This is what I finally figured out how to remove the files that said they didn’t exist. I was able to MOVE them. 1. Created a folder named “bogus”. 2. Moved all the “non-existent ghost files into “bogus” folder. 3. Deleted “bogus” folder. GONE!!!

8 replies

Feb 28, 2022 9:22 AM in response to imorndew

Closing the app didn’t work. I have rebooted a dozen times. (For as long as I’ve had an iPad, I do this reboot daily, and sometimes I let the battery run itself out, as I read someplace that can be beneficial). Nothing works. I created a folder named Bogus, and was able to move the 60+ files I’m unable to open or delete, into Bogus, so when I find a solution, they are all in one place to deal with. I’ve had this issue for many months, just now dealing with it. I’d really like to have a few of these files recovered. I’m considering wiping my iPad out & starting over. I hesitate to do that, as I’m concerned those bogus files will still be there on the backup.

Jan 18, 2022 3:02 PM in response to imorndew

If you are unable to delete the zero-byte files, perform a forced-restart of your iPad - as doing so will often resolve an isolated problem:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Feb 26, 2022 4:02 PM in response to OregonTrees

Greetings OregonTrees,

If you haven’t already done so, I recommend trying the following:

Close the File app and see if the zero kB files are “gone” when you next reopen the app. If this doesn’t resolve the issue I suggest trying the forced restart procedure LotusPilot described (above).

Please be sure to follow up here and let us know if/how you resolved the issue. Thank you.

Best regards,

imorndew

Jan 18, 2022 4:26 PM in response to imorndew

Greetings LotusPilot,

Thank you for your response to my post!

The issue now appears to be resolved. The solution seems it was almost too simple and I feel silly for not having tried this earlier. I closed the Files app. When I reopened it, the incomplete download files were no longer there. Best I can tell at the moment, they are “gone” now.

Thank you again for your response and the information I may need in the future.

Best regards,

imorndew

iPad Files Will Not Delete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.