You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Factory reset didnt work...

I sold my MacBook Air. Before I did that I factory reset my Mac. I followed every instruction provided from the apple article on what to do before selling your Mac. I met with the man I was selling it to, and everything looked fine. When the Mac was opened the screen showed the startup menu you get when you buy a new Mac. BUT later that evening he sent me a picture of the mac-screen, asking what my password were. And it seems after all the factory resetting my useraccount is STILL THERE, even though I watched him make his own. Apple-ID and iCloud are not I think. But still I'm kinda annoyed. What happened here? I erased everything with disk utilities and re-installed macOS and everything

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 12:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 10:19 AM

It's difficult to say. It sounds as though you did everything right though, with the possible exception of the following:

I erased everything with disk utilities and re-installed macOS and everything

What do you mean by "and everything"?

The reason for asking is that Step 8 in What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support states "After macOS installation is complete, your Mac restarts to a setup assistant. To leave the Mac in an out-of-box state, press Command-Q to shut down instead of continuing setup."

That's where you should stop. Then, the first thing a new owner should encounter upon starting the Mac for the first time is the language selection menu. Was that not it?

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 19, 2022 10:19 AM in response to annekrhan

It's difficult to say. It sounds as though you did everything right though, with the possible exception of the following:

I erased everything with disk utilities and re-installed macOS and everything

What do you mean by "and everything"?

The reason for asking is that Step 8 in What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support states "After macOS installation is complete, your Mac restarts to a setup assistant. To leave the Mac in an out-of-box state, press Command-Q to shut down instead of continuing setup."

That's where you should stop. Then, the first thing a new owner should encounter upon starting the Mac for the first time is the language selection menu. Was that not it?

Factory reset didnt work...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.