You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Norton security good for my iMac?

Do you think Norton is a good Security Company and is $499 too expensive for this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 2:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 3:03 PM

You’re getting scammed. Get off that phone call right now. Sounds like you are getting scammed over the phone to me.

macOS has built in security. If you use common sense on the internet, your Mac will stay virus free. Most you need is the free tier of Malwarebytes.

4 replies

Jan 19, 2022 3:10 PM in response to jannelle80

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

jannelle80 wrote:

Do you think Norton is a good Security Company and is $499 too expensive for this?

No, they are not. Never buy anything Norton! Also, Norton is certainly not $499. It sounds like a scam: Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support.

Mac computers do not need any sort of anti-virus, cleaners, VPNs, etc. The only thing they are good at is creating false marketing promises and taking consumers' money. They are all scams. In fact, anti-virus and other cleaners cause performance issues, security issues, and make macOS appear buggy. Your Mac is far worse with these types of Apps installed.

Mac computers have protection built-in, which is the best protection for your Mac. For specifics on macOS Security, see: macOS - Security - Apple and Protecting against malware in macOS - Apple Support. Mac computers also have built-in storage recommendations: Optimize storage space on your Mac - Apple Support. You can even use the built-in macOS Firewall: Block connections to your Mac with a firewall - Apple Support. Other than that, all you should do is restart your Mac approximately once a week and keep macOS up to date: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

However, should you ever get adware or malware on your Mac, the only tool that should be used to remove it is the free Malwarebytes for Mac. This App is the only exception to the general rule that no anti-virus, anti-malware, etc. should be used.

Jack

Jan 20, 2022 1:18 PM in response to jannelle80

Major, full on scam. Likely an email as I've gotten the same one several times. Or the one I just got thanking me for renewing a Geek Squad service contract for $459. Hmm, pretty darn difficult to renew something I've never had to begin with. And of course, there was a phone number to call if I had any questions of wanted to cancel it.

Is Norton security good for my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.