You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore mailboxes from time machine?

After crashing of my old MacBook, I bought a new one (2021) and I used time machine to restore my files.

However, mailboxes that were located at the LOCAL disk were not restored, resulting in the loss of thousands of mails and a lot of work.

It seems that time machine does not work properly for mailboxes.

Is there any solution for this?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 1:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 3:26 AM

Hi,

Following tip could help your question.

How to manually restore your Mail fonder from Time Machine.

1. Open your Time Machine disk, and then go to the backup of your account's Library folder: Backups.backupdb > ComputerName > Latest > Macintosh HD > Users > username > Library. ... 
  2. Select your Mail folder and press Command-C to copy a reference to it.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 22, 2022 3:26 AM in response to stergiosp

Hi,

Following tip could help your question.

How to manually restore your Mail fonder from Time Machine.

1. Open your Time Machine disk, and then go to the backup of your account's Library folder: Backups.backupdb > ComputerName > Latest > Macintosh HD > Users > username > Library. ... 
  2. Select your Mail folder and press Command-C to copy a reference to it.

Jan 23, 2022 8:59 PM in response to kaz-k

Thank you kaz-k!

What you propose is the regular "road" to restore mails. Unfortunately, the Mail folder does not exist in the time machine.

I think that this is a system failure of Apple, since it was not required to select or not the Mail from time machine during the back-up process.

After a similar crashing in 2014, the mailboxes were automatically restored by time machine, so I was unaware of this bad evolution.

Are there any other proposals?

Feb 3, 2022 3:00 PM in response to stergiosp

I've had a similar rude awakening after trying to search for some emails from late last year that I carelessly deleted a few weeks ago. I recall that recovering emails used to be as simple as entering Time Machine from Mail.

Is there any way to ensure emails are backed up somewhere in TimeMachine? I certainly can't find any options in this regard in the System Preferences, so it does seem like a rather large 'hole' in the backup.

How to restore mailboxes from time machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.