You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Asking for Recovery key on my iPod 3 gen

Hi, I recently found an old iPod and set it up. It is full of old songs. However, when I try to re enter the password for my iCloud validation its asking me for a recovery key. I never set up a recovery key in the first place, I only have 2 fact authentication on my ip12 and se. I recked and the recovery key was set to off. It says your recovery key can be used to verify your identify when you don't have access to a trusted device. However, I have 3 devices and I get my codes on them. Any suggestions? ITS ASKIG FOR A CODE STARTING RK-

Thanks

iPod Touch (3rd Gen)

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 3:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 9:31 AM

Hey khajotia,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! We understand your iPod is asking for you to enter a Recovery Key in order to proceed. We'd like to help.

With two-factor authentication, a recovery key also allows you to regain access to your Apple ID on that device. It sounds like perhaps the password you're entering is not being accepted so it's asking you to enter your recovery key in order to proceed with sign in. Do you have any other options on the pop up alert that can help you skip or that provides you with an alternative to using the recovery key by chance?

If not, is your iPhone 12 and iPhone SE both signed in and using that same Apple ID account as the iPod is requesting to sign into? If so, we know you mentioned recovery key is off. If you try turning it back on "You can generate a new recovery key from Settings or System Preferences on a trusted device signed in with your Apple ID" as shown here: How to generate a recovery key. You could then turn that part back off again afterwards, if you don't wish to use a recovery key.

Best regards.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 23, 2022 9:31 AM in response to khajotia

Hey khajotia,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! We understand your iPod is asking for you to enter a Recovery Key in order to proceed. We'd like to help.

With two-factor authentication, a recovery key also allows you to regain access to your Apple ID on that device. It sounds like perhaps the password you're entering is not being accepted so it's asking you to enter your recovery key in order to proceed with sign in. Do you have any other options on the pop up alert that can help you skip or that provides you with an alternative to using the recovery key by chance?

If not, is your iPhone 12 and iPhone SE both signed in and using that same Apple ID account as the iPod is requesting to sign into? If so, we know you mentioned recovery key is off. If you try turning it back on "You can generate a new recovery key from Settings or System Preferences on a trusted device signed in with your Apple ID" as shown here: How to generate a recovery key. You could then turn that part back off again afterwards, if you don't wish to use a recovery key.

Best regards.

Asking for Recovery key on my iPod 3 gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.