You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro Trial not loading after Monterey OS Update (Invalid dylib load)

I've looked everywhere for a solution to this problem and can't find anything that works. Basically, Final Cut Pro will not open on my computer (iMac Retina 5k, 2017) after updating to Monterey OS. I did a clean install of Final Cut Pro X multiple times with no luck. On my 2015 macbook pro running Big Sur I have no issues, so I'm assuming something happened during the OS upgrade.

The exact error is "Invalid dylib load. Clients should not load the unversioned libcrypto dylib as it does not have a stable ABI."

I located the "libcrypto.dylib" file on my mac and noticed that the alias is incorrect - it opens to a folder in my Adobe Photoshop for some reason. So I'm wondering if there's a way to fix the alias to correctly link to a versioned libcrypto dylib? Some people recommend linking to a specific "libcrypto.dylib" verson, but I have no idea to do that because I'm assuming that means changing the actual "exe" code of when Final Cut Pro loads and I have no idea how to do that. AND it seems to be an issue with the Monterey OS rather than the program. Looked everywhere for how to fix this issue and can't find a solution.

I would like to avoid doing a clean install of the OS because it would take forever to backup all my files and reinstall...

All other programs seem to be working fine, so not sure what's going on...

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 11:50 AM

Similar questions

15 replies

Jan 22, 2022 12:17 PM in response to terryb

I tried this as well and it did not work. It says "file exists" in terminal and when I open final cut pro x it has the same error report.

I did not have homebrew installed initially, but after reading through the forum solutions, I installed homebrew and used the terminal solutions (such as the one you provided) but still no luck. I uninstalled and did a clean install of the final cut pro trial each time. Still no luck.

My guess is something went wrong on my computer since the libcrypto.lib alias points to a folder in my adobe photoshop for some reason. If there's an actual location where the alias is supposed to point to, I could try to "fix the alias" but I have no idea where it should point to either...

Jan 22, 2022 12:31 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I will try to downgrade to Big Sur first to see if that resolves the issue. I ran a full computer diag and nothing else seems to be wrong with the system.

The error message seems to imply all I have to do is correctly link a dylib file and there are various solutions online explaining how to do this, but it's from the context of modifying the code in apps that are about to launch on macs, so I'm going to explore this a bit more.

Hoping someone in the community will know how to properly update these dynamic libraries so it fixes the issue without me having to go through the headache of a clean install.

Jan 22, 2022 1:09 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Already ran this report and didn't find anything unusual. The report again mentions the problem with the dylib:

Diagnostics Information (past 7-30 days):

2022-01-23 08:52:00 Final Cut Pro Trial - Crash (8 times)

Executable: /Applications/Final Cut Pro Trial.app

Details: 

libcrypto.dylib: Invalid dylib load. Clients should not load the unver

sioned libcrypto dylib as it does not have a stable ABI.

libsystem_c.dylib: abort() called

This is the only unusual element found. I don't have any "bad" programs installed (clean my mac, spyware, anti-virus). I will wait for a response where someone knows more info specifically about the dylib files.

Jan 22, 2022 1:58 PM in response to jdubball4u

I also wonder if the issue is related to the fact that I went from Catalina to Monterey (skipped the Big Sur update). Maybe that caused problems in the dylib? If I don't get any solutions, I will downgrade to Big Sur and then test, and then maybe try upgrading to Monterey again.

However, based on the response of other users, it seems there are still many issues with 10.61 and Monterey.

Jan 22, 2022 2:18 PM in response to jdubball4u

I finally figured it out...

The referenced dylib was indeed linking incorrectly as I assumed. I did a search for the specific file using terminal (you will not be able to locate the file by using the general finder search). In terminal, type: "find /Applications -name libcrypto.dylib" (or whatever dylib file is causing problems). Terminal will then give you the exact location of where the file is located.

I copied that file over to the original folder where the alias is incorrect and now Final Cut Pro X opens! However, this seems like a temporary workaround since I noticed that my other dylib files also have incorrect aliases...which means other programs that access those libraries may cause errors.

If anyone knows why this error may have occurred, I would really appreciate it so I can do a proper fix. If there is no proper fix, I will have to do a clean install looks like :(

Jan 22, 2022 3:26 PM in response to jdubball4u

@jdubball4u - It looks like this machine has been upgraded in place for many years. You've still got Shockwave which was discontinued in 2017 and a number of kernel extensions. Do yourself a huge favor and make at least one, preferably two full backups, wipe your drive and do a clean OS installation (Big Sur if you want), then like Tom says, only migrate Users from your backup. Install fresh, downloaded, up-to-date versions of the apps you use. Do not install Chrome. You and your machine will be much happier.

Final Cut Pro Trial not loading after Monterey OS Update (Invalid dylib load)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.