You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my mail blocking remote content when the preferences are not selected to BLOCK ALL REMOTE CONTENT?

Why is my mail blocking remote content when the preferences are not selected to BLOCK ALL REMOTE CONTENT? Initially I used this feature and didn't like having to select the load content directly button on each of my emails. So, I deselected this feature and my mail still seems to be blocking remote content. How can I fix this? Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 6:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 8:01 AM

If you see 'Unable to load remote content privately' at the top of an email

If Mail displays a message that it's unable to load remote content privately, you can tap Load Content to display the content.

Mail Privacy Protection in iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 hides your IP address, so email senders can’t determine your location or link it to your other online activity.

In some cases, Mail isn’t able to download remote content in an email in a private way. This may happen if you’re using a Virtual Private Network (VPN). 

Mail won’t load this content without your permission and instead notifies you that it's unable to load remote content privately.

You can tap Load Content to bypass the warning, and allow Mail to receive the remote content without using Mail Privacy Protection. If your device is using a VPN for this content, the content will be loaded through the VPN rather than through Mail Privacy Protection.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 23, 2022 8:01 AM in response to Jetlink1775

If you see 'Unable to load remote content privately' at the top of an email

If Mail displays a message that it's unable to load remote content privately, you can tap Load Content to display the content.

Mail Privacy Protection in iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 hides your IP address, so email senders can’t determine your location or link it to your other online activity.

In some cases, Mail isn’t able to download remote content in an email in a private way. This may happen if you’re using a Virtual Private Network (VPN). 

Mail won’t load this content without your permission and instead notifies you that it's unable to load remote content privately.

You can tap Load Content to bypass the warning, and allow Mail to receive the remote content without using Mail Privacy Protection. If your device is using a VPN for this content, the content will be loaded through the VPN rather than through Mail Privacy Protection.

Jan 23, 2022 7:56 AM in response to PRP_53

Okay, I tried that and waited for an email and still have the issue. Here is another screenshot of the new preference selection and email in the background that hasn't loaded remote content. I don't think I have any Ad blockers. This all started when Apple came out with the ability to block remote content and I first made that selection. Now I cant get rid of it. Thanks for helping me. I did close my mail completely after the selection and reopened.

Jan 23, 2022 8:04 AM in response to Jetlink1775

All of those must be deselected if your Network setup is blocking the use of those things.

With "Protect Mail Activity" selected, you should not have to load content unless your network doesn't allow it to use its privacy features. When that happens, you have to disable all of the checkboxes to allow Mail to load remote content.

Besides the use of a VPN or Proxy, I don't know what other network settings will prevent use of the privacy features.

Why is my mail blocking remote content when the preferences are not selected to BLOCK ALL REMOTE CONTENT?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.