You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to physically connect 2010 macbook to 2021 m1 macbook and migrate

I am trying to migrate from my old 2010 MacBook Pro 13 inch, to my new M1 14 inch MacBook Pro. I’ve migrated many times in the past, but I am somewhat confused about how to actually connect these two machines to each other.I’ve seen some people suggest an ethernet connection, I have others suggest and USB – a to USB – C cable. For the latter however, there is a dizzying array of options, none of which seem to be endorsed by anybody for my purpose. I also have an external drive with a carbon copy clone of my old MacBook Pro system and I thought this too might work.For anyone who has made such a leap, how did you approach it? Thank you very much in advance.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 4:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 4:43 AM

To transfer data may make more sense than pile a bunch of unsorted stuff into the new Mac's storage.

Harder to sort items out of newer file system after; than you'd begin to guess, as well. ~ Avoid trouble.

But since you asked, there's an article that covers the basics; includes 'Transfer or Migrate'.

The use of Time Machine may allow less troubles for Transfer, than a migration of data.

You may find instruction to make piecemeal use of Time Machine archive in newer Mac.

• Transfer your data to your new MacBook Pro - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/macbook-pro/transfer-your-data-apda75cd668e/2020/mac/11

• Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

See Transfer info to Mac from another computer or device in the macOS User Guide

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 25, 2022 4:43 AM in response to ArmchairAuteur

To transfer data may make more sense than pile a bunch of unsorted stuff into the new Mac's storage.

Harder to sort items out of newer file system after; than you'd begin to guess, as well. ~ Avoid trouble.

But since you asked, there's an article that covers the basics; includes 'Transfer or Migrate'.

The use of Time Machine may allow less troubles for Transfer, than a migration of data.

You may find instruction to make piecemeal use of Time Machine archive in newer Mac.

• Transfer your data to your new MacBook Pro - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/macbook-pro/transfer-your-data-apda75cd668e/2020/mac/11

• Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

See Transfer info to Mac from another computer or device in the macOS User Guide

Jan 25, 2022 5:12 AM in response to K Shaffer

Thank you very much for your response and direction to those websites.The reason I was thinking migration as opposed to just dragging files over is that there’s so many bits and pieces that I’ve accumulated over 12 years and I don’t know what will be important in the future. And also there are things like iCal and iPhoto which I thought the migration assistant would deal with in a sensible way so that the data was properly transferred between the old and new applications. I haven’t even begun to worry about iTunes and all those audio files I’ve organized over the years in that program.Then there are the existing applications and their associated files. My assumption is that migration assistant will somehow magically move those over so that they have a chance of working on the new computer. At least that’s how it’s worked in the past.

This all seems to be complicated by the fact that my old computer is on 10.6.8 which may not be new enough for migration assistant to work with.

Thank you again.

How to physically connect 2010 macbook to 2021 m1 macbook and migrate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.