You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting Time Machine Backups

I have a 1TB iMac (late 2015) running Big Sur OS. I use Time Machine to backup to a 2TB external hard drive. Recently I got a message "Time Machine could not back up the disk "Macintosh HD - Data" because it is nearly full. Delete some files on this disk and try again." I assumed "it" meant the external HD but my Mac HD is nearly full as well. I went into Finder and opened the external HD and proceeded to select some of the oldest backups and move them to trash. Emptied trash. Still had message about not enough room so moved more backups to trash. It's been trying to empty the trash for hours (overnight). I got a few messages about some things being in use so I hit Continue/Skip/Stop (chose each one along the way hoping it would either finish or just stop trying) but it is still going with the delete. After doing some reading I'm realizing deleting using Finder was prob a bad idea as the backups build on one another (only changes are backed up). It didn't seem like that was the case because in opening an older backup, I could see the same document as in a newer backup and the doc hadn't changed between the two so figured I was safe. Anyways, my two questions are as follows:

1. Is there a way to stop the trash from trying to empty itself or get it to complete the emptying of these backup files?
  2. How do I delete my external HD and start over with Time Machine? At this point I just want to start over with a complete backup since I may have messed them up by deleting some backups and I really don't ever intend to restore a backup from a random week one year ago. I really just want to make sure I have a recent backup or two available.

Thanks!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 12:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 1:13 PM

First never delete TM files manually as it will mess up the TM backups and files will get stuck in your trash. Do the following:

• With the TM drive connected go to the TM pane and remove the drive as a TM backup
  • Then erase and format the drive to APFS
  • The files in your trash should be deleted (manually or automatically)

Then use the new erased formatted drive drive again as a TM backup and start over.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 26, 2022 1:13 PM in response to Michcon4

First never delete TM files manually as it will mess up the TM backups and files will get stuck in your trash. Do the following:

• With the TM drive connected go to the TM pane and remove the drive as a TM backup
  • Then erase and format the drive to APFS
  • The files in your trash should be deleted (manually or automatically)

Then use the new erased formatted drive drive again as a TM backup and start over.

Jan 26, 2022 1:12 PM in response to Michcon4

You will need to open Disk Utility and format the TM EHD and then start over with TM.

As for your internal HD being almost full, I would recommend first emptying the Trash if you have not recently. Then move large media libraries (Photos, Music and Movies) to another EHD. NEVER EVER use you TM drive to store data files!!!!!!!!!!!! Apple explains how in Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support for Photos, for music and movies it will be very similar.

Jan 26, 2022 2:39 PM in response to Michcon4

If you move your large libraries they will still be backed up by TM so you are good. If you use the Photos app to manage your photo library the way to "teach " it where the library has been moved to (assuming you do move it to an EHD) is to simply double click the library on the EHD and the Photos app will launch and it will also "teach" it where the new location is. Once you have done that then you can trash the library on the internal drive and empty the Trash and more space should appear on the internal HD.

Jan 26, 2022 1:35 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I definitely have deleted my trash. Did so yesterday as part of trying to make space on my external HD and it worked at that time. Problem I'm having now is that with my next batch of backups I was trying to delete, the empty trash process has been running since yesterday and I can't stop it. May try restarting the computer at this point. Currently the EHD I'm using for Time Machine is only for Time Machine. I will purchase a second EHD to move my photo library to. Thanks!

Deleting Time Machine Backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.