You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Invisible Storage

My HDD storage shows i have around 103 GB used memory but when i checked with a third party apps it showed only 43 GB occupied, I also don't have any big files in my disc. I have no idea where these 50-55 GB storage are form. I checked and tried many ways following every tricks searching in google and youtube, using different software even checking folders one by one ...

Is there any hidden backup files storing somewhere ? Please share if anyone have any solution. I can't even update mac OS due to storage shortage

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 9:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 3:03 AM

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac

Empty the Trash

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 27, 2022 3:03 AM in response to saqib574

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac

Empty the Trash

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Jan 26, 2022 10:49 PM in response to saqib574

Sounds like snapshots it’s running. Do you have automatic backups turned on in preferences? If so turn it off. In a couple days it should go down. It stores them on an APFS formatted drive whether you have time machine plugged in or not. If you really want to find out fast. Reboot, when you hear a chime, before it ends be holding command +R . This puts you in recovery mode. Click on disk utility. Click on HD, top drive, run. Twirl down the arrow and watch the information. If you see a lot of snapshots ( the word ) labeled snapshot 1, 2 etc. and there are a bunch. That’s it. Turning off auto back off will flush it out after a couple days and a reboot. Hope that helps. Read about them and APFS and you’ll get an idea. Cheers.

Feb 4, 2022 3:47 AM in response to saqib574

If this computer has been upGraded over the years and has had several upGrades along the way - the Baggage will build up. Thusly the " Other " category will and has grown.

In this computer situation - one may consider the Scorch Earth approach only after attempting the previous suggestions.

Just a point to remember, starting in macOS 10.15 Catalina - there is a " Read Only Volume" where the OS resides. It is designed by Apple to guard against unintended or intentional modifications, alteration, deletions etc.

Further, starting in Big Sur macOS 11 and again in Monterey macOS 12 - that Read Only Volume has gone a step further wherein the volume is now " Sealed and Read Only" and only Apple can modify it.

Invisible Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.