You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

kernel panic

Hi

I run an imac with an external ssd as the ATA disk was rubish. Etrecheck shows that the iMac goes into Kernel Panic. I cannot figure out how to fix it. It used to be once every two months but now it is a daily occurrence. Can anyone help please?

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 9:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 4:41 AM

Hi PartickExpress.

You need to re-run the Etrecheck report but this time before you start it go to Mac System Preferences, Security and Privacy, click on the Privacy tab and in the left side pane scroll down to, and click on the item "Full Disk Access". In the right side pane look for the entry for Etrecheck.

You need to enable Etrecheck to scan your entire Hard Disk for errors, your last report only scanned the user areas and deep logging of system errors has not been carried out.

To enable Etrecheck Full Disk Access click on the lock icon at the bottom of the window, enter your user password when requested then click the check box next to the Etrecheck entry under the "Allow the apps below....." listing.

After this is enabled click the lock symbol again to prevent further changes, exit System Preferences, open and run the Etrecheck app and post the new report back here.

A sample screen shot showing where you need to look in the Security & Privacy window is attached below, I don't have Etrecheck loaded at the moment, but if it were you would see it in the right side pane when Full Disk Access is selected.

There is also an Apple provided Hardware Diagnostic tool that you might like to run on your system to see if it is able to determine a cause, link to the Apple Document follows:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

You could also carry out a one-time boot into Safe-Mode, if you haven't tried this already, the boot into Safe-Mode resets many macOS caches that are not necessarily cleared when upgrading macOS's.

There is no need to do anything in Safe-Mode other than boot in Safe-Mode (instruction document linked following) allow the Mac to boot all the way to your user desktop, which may take up to ten minutes, leave the Mac alone for ten minutes for all background launch processes to complete, then restart the Mac.

After the restart the Mac will be back in Normal-Mode automatically.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262

HTH

Will.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 28, 2022 4:41 AM in response to PartickExpress

Hi PartickExpress.

You need to re-run the Etrecheck report but this time before you start it go to Mac System Preferences, Security and Privacy, click on the Privacy tab and in the left side pane scroll down to, and click on the item "Full Disk Access". In the right side pane look for the entry for Etrecheck.

You need to enable Etrecheck to scan your entire Hard Disk for errors, your last report only scanned the user areas and deep logging of system errors has not been carried out.

To enable Etrecheck Full Disk Access click on the lock icon at the bottom of the window, enter your user password when requested then click the check box next to the Etrecheck entry under the "Allow the apps below....." listing.

After this is enabled click the lock symbol again to prevent further changes, exit System Preferences, open and run the Etrecheck app and post the new report back here.

A sample screen shot showing where you need to look in the Security & Privacy window is attached below, I don't have Etrecheck loaded at the moment, but if it were you would see it in the right side pane when Full Disk Access is selected.

There is also an Apple provided Hardware Diagnostic tool that you might like to run on your system to see if it is able to determine a cause, link to the Apple Document follows:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

You could also carry out a one-time boot into Safe-Mode, if you haven't tried this already, the boot into Safe-Mode resets many macOS caches that are not necessarily cleared when upgrading macOS's.

There is no need to do anything in Safe-Mode other than boot in Safe-Mode (instruction document linked following) allow the Mac to boot all the way to your user desktop, which may take up to ten minutes, leave the Mac alone for ten minutes for all background launch processes to complete, then restart the Mac.

After the restart the Mac will be back in Normal-Mode automatically.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262

HTH

Will.

Jan 27, 2022 9:14 AM in response to PartickExpress

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

I believe we need to proceed with an EtreCheck report. EtreCheck is a useful App to diagnose and identify issues, both hardware and software. It is trusted by many users. Please follow the steps outlined below:

1. Navigate to: https://etrecheck.com and get the free version of EtreCheckPro.
  2. Download it. It is a free and trusted app. It is often recommended here on Apple Support Communities. 
  3. Open EtreCheck, and before running the report, be sure to check “Allow full Drive Access” at the bottom of the EtreCheckPro window.
  4. Run the report, and put it in a post, as shown here: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211. We will then examine the report for issues in your Mac.

Jack

Jan 28, 2022 3:31 AM in response to Jack-19

Thank you so much for your answer. When I launched Etrecheck it gave me warning saying I was using a beta version but this is not correct as I installed the full version. I do not want to overburden you with information but it really struggles to start up from the ssd after the panics and I need to PRAM reset it select the start up volume and then restart. Next, I attach the Etrecheck report in the additional text feature. I am aware that the Kernel panics can be due to hardware but still do not know what to do to fix it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

kernel panic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.