You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I share a song from my library that is not available on Apple Music?

Prior to 2007, I added several CDs to my iTunes library on my PC. Some of those CDs are not available as part of current Apple Music library. That library has transferred to my current iTunes and I can listen to all of my songs; however, for those songs not available as part of the Apple Music library, I do not have a "Share Song" option. Is there a way to share one of those songs with another iOS user? (They are also part of my Family Sharing plan.)

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 9:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 2:59 PM

I understand your response, but it doesn’t help me achieve what I’m trying to accomplish.

When Apple introduced iTunes Match, I was able to upload songs I had ripped from CDs I owned. Those songs, now stored in the cloud, are available for playback across all of my Apple ID devices.

Why, then, is there no way to share those songs with others on my Family Share plan? I still own the CD, but I can’t play the CD on any of my devices. I thought a chief benefit of being in the cloud was to be able to access them across multiple devices. I’m just trying to share one of those songs (from an obscure CD not available in Apple Music library) with a family member who is signed in under a different Apple ID, but on my Family Share plan. Thoughts?

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 28, 2022 2:59 PM in response to Ben_Z1

I understand your response, but it doesn’t help me achieve what I’m trying to accomplish.

When Apple introduced iTunes Match, I was able to upload songs I had ripped from CDs I owned. Those songs, now stored in the cloud, are available for playback across all of my Apple ID devices.

Why, then, is there no way to share those songs with others on my Family Share plan? I still own the CD, but I can’t play the CD on any of my devices. I thought a chief benefit of being in the cloud was to be able to access them across multiple devices. I’m just trying to share one of those songs (from an obscure CD not available in Apple Music library) with a family member who is signed in under a different Apple ID, but on my Family Share plan. Thoughts?

Jan 28, 2022 11:18 AM in response to grigsmw

Hello grigsmw,

We understand that you would like to share certain songs with your family. We’d like to help however we can. 

The only songs that you would be able to share are ones that were purchased from the iTunes Store. These articles have more information:

If this is something you’d like to see changed in the future, then we encourage you to submit your feedback about this here:

Feedback - iTunes

Cheers!

Can I share a song from my library that is not available on Apple Music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.