You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can not write files to portable Seagate drive

I have recently bought a portable Seagate drive.

I have connected it to my MacBook Air computer.

I want to copy file to this drive, but I can not. Why is that? I have followed the advice to get instead of small memory stick a serious device.

whatever I try it does not work.

here are some screen shots

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 9:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 3:45 PM

grigory176 wrote:

But how do I re-format the drive?  

sorry, i missed that part of your post. please see this apple support article: Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

4 replies

Jan 27, 2022 12:58 PM in response to KiltedTim

Hello, Mr. Kilted Tim!

You are saying: “macOS can read from, but can not write to NTFS”——>I understand that.

You are saying: “You need to re-format the drive to be able to use it with your Mac”——>I understand that also.

But how do I re-format the drive?  

Here are the screenshots I attach to my post:

1.SeagateDrive

2.GetInfoScreen Shot 2022-01-27 at 12.25.14 PM

3.ContentOfSeagateDriveScreen Shot 2022-01-27 at 12.18.57 PM

4.ErrorMessageIGotScreen Shot 2022-01-27 at 12.19.37 PM

When I open  “Start Here Mac” executable that is 

on Seagate Portable Drive— I get the error message (see ErrorMessageIGotScreen Shot 2022-01-27 at 12.19.37 PM

My understanding is that I should be able to execute “Start Here Mac” executable to reformat the drive, but I can not run it. You can see the error message.  Right?

So, what can I do?

can, You, please, help me?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank a lot,

Grigory

Jan 27, 2022 2:52 PM in response to grigory176

it appears that not only is it in NTFS format, but there is also some pre-installed software to make it "mac ready". it is often recommended to not use a manufacturer's bundled software and instead use disk utility (found in applications > utilities) to erase the disk and format it as APFS with GUID partition map. i personally never use a manufacturer's software.

I can not write files to portable Seagate drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.