You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My son wants to be apart of his friend's family sharing. If I allow that, can I still set restrictions and see his location?

My son has been apart of his friend's family sharing. I want to be able to set restrictions and see his phone location. Is there a way to do both?

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 2:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 2:59 PM

Yes.

Find friends and share your location with Find My

Learn how to use the Find My app to share your location with friends and family members.

Set up parental controls with Family Sharing on iPhone

With Family Sharing, the organizer can set up parental controls for children in the Family Sharing group. You can use Screen Time to manage how your children use their Apple devices. You can also turn on Ask to Buy, so children must receive approval for purchases or free downloads.

Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

When you turn on Screen Time, you'll see a report showing how you've used your device, apps and websites. If it's your child's device, you can set up Screen Time and create settings on their device, or you can use Family Sharing to configure your child's device from your device. After you've set up your child's device, you can also use Family Sharing to see reports and adjust settings from your device.

Approve what kids buy with Ask to Buy

With Ask to Buy, when kids want to buy or download a new item, they send a request to the family organiser. The family organiser can use their own device to approve or decline the request. For example, if a child wants to buy an app, the family organiser can see the app and decide whether to allow it.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 27, 2022 2:59 PM in response to Lindsaylou1012

Yes.

Find friends and share your location with Find My

Learn how to use the Find My app to share your location with friends and family members.

Set up parental controls with Family Sharing on iPhone

With Family Sharing, the organizer can set up parental controls for children in the Family Sharing group. You can use Screen Time to manage how your children use their Apple devices. You can also turn on Ask to Buy, so children must receive approval for purchases or free downloads.

Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

When you turn on Screen Time, you'll see a report showing how you've used your device, apps and websites. If it's your child's device, you can set up Screen Time and create settings on their device, or you can use Family Sharing to configure your child's device from your device. After you've set up your child's device, you can also use Family Sharing to see reports and adjust settings from your device.

Approve what kids buy with Ask to Buy

With Ask to Buy, when kids want to buy or download a new item, they send a request to the family organiser. The family organiser can use their own device to approve or decline the request. For example, if a child wants to buy an app, the family organiser can see the app and decide whether to allow it.

My son wants to be apart of his friend's family sharing. If I allow that, can I still set restrictions and see his location?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.