You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video Playback broken in Monterey 12.2 Update

On my MacBook Air 2017 with the Montery 12.2 Update Video playback is now totally broken once again. Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 6:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 3:49 PM

I had a similar problem with my 2015 Macbook Air. Videos weren't working in my primary browser (Google Chrome) or my backup browser (Safari). I contacted Apple support, and the first suggestion they gave me appeared to work for both browsers.

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
  2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in.
  3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see "Safe Boot" in the upper-right corner of the window in red lettering.

When I reopened Chrome, the websites that I tried would almost refuse to load, but after about 5 minutes, I finally got a website to load and the playback worked. Safari worked just fine almost immediately.

Once you check and see if the videos work, you should restart your Mac to get out of safe mode. When I opened up Chrome after the restart, everything worked as it normally should.

I hope this helps.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 6, 2022 3:49 PM in response to LawMichigander

I had a similar problem with my 2015 Macbook Air. Videos weren't working in my primary browser (Google Chrome) or my backup browser (Safari). I contacted Apple support, and the first suggestion they gave me appeared to work for both browsers.

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
  2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in.
  3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see "Safe Boot" in the upper-right corner of the window in red lettering.

When I reopened Chrome, the websites that I tried would almost refuse to load, but after about 5 minutes, I finally got a website to load and the playback worked. Safari worked just fine almost immediately.

Once you check and see if the videos work, you should restart your Mac to get out of safe mode. When I opened up Chrome after the restart, everything worked as it normally should.

I hope this helps.

Jan 28, 2022 2:03 AM in response to LawMichigander

In addition to what lllaass said:

“Once again” is relevant… so it was broken for you sometime before?

When?

I am thinking that there may be something peculiar to your installation. The best way to find out is to run the diagnostic tool Etrecheck and post its report here so we look for possible causes.

FWIW video has been playing here every day in many different applications without issues, across many OS versions.

Feb 1, 2022 9:04 PM in response to LawMichigander

LawMichigander - what exactly was it doing?

I've been having issues with videos playing on Reddit on my 2017 iMac with Monterey, and tonight my wife told me (and showed me) she has similar issues on her 2021 MBP with Monterey on Facebook.

In both cases, the video will start normally, then speed up and get jerky, and then stop.

What were you experiencing?

Video Playback broken in Monterey 12.2 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.