You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto to Photo app transfer issues

Hi there! I'm having some issues. I opened photos while holding down the option key and selected my iPhotos albums as others with my problem were instructed to do. The photos transferred and everything appeared to be fine. I then reopened my photos app and now there's nothing there. I attempted to open the photos app again while holding down the option key to repeat the process but now it just directly opens the photos app. Can anyone help me??

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 6:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 7:48 AM

The pictures are stored in a Photos Library (probably called migrated Photos library or something like that) If you had your iPhoto Library in the Pictures Folder, it should be there.

When you start Photos with the option key held down, you should always get the dialog to choose a library, since you can have multiple libraries.

1. Try to going into your Pictures folder and clicking on the Photos Library.
  2. Start the Mac in safe mode and try the option click on Photos How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support
  3. Send us a screenshot of the contents of your Pictures folder from the finder.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 30, 2022 7:48 AM in response to cbloodworth89

The pictures are stored in a Photos Library (probably called migrated Photos library or something like that) If you had your iPhoto Library in the Pictures Folder, it should be there.

When you start Photos with the option key held down, you should always get the dialog to choose a library, since you can have multiple libraries.

1. Try to going into your Pictures folder and clicking on the Photos Library.
  2. Start the Mac in safe mode and try the option click on Photos How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support
  3. Send us a screenshot of the contents of your Pictures folder from the finder.

Jan 30, 2022 6:54 AM in response to léonie

I just installed Catalina after a very long time of not updating my OS.

My photos have always been stored in iPhoto but this OS does not support iPhoto and has changed to Photos. I followed the instructions given to other users to upload my iPhotos library to Photos and everything seemed to work fine. I chose the library, uploaded them, viewed them in the photos app and then closed it. Later (literally less than an hour), I went back into the Photos app and they were no longer there. During this time nothing happened to my computer. I didn't turn it off, it didn't restart. Nothing. I'm very confused!

Jan 29, 2022 6:38 AM in response to cbloodworth89

Hello! I think I have a couple of potential solutions for you.

1. While in the Photos app, hold options and double click the Photos icon. There should be an option to select from multiple libraries. I think there’s a possibility that your album/library will be in the menu.
  2. Check iCloud Photos potentially? Maybe when you transferred the photos they automatically got uploaded to the cloud.

Hope this helps.

Jan 29, 2022 6:47 AM in response to gbPackers12

Thank you so much for replying. Unfortunately, neither worked. When I double click photos while holding down option, the app just opens and closes. When I held down option and opened photos initially, it it did bring up multiple libraries and that's how I was able to choose my photos. They uploaded and I physically saw them in my photos library, so I have no idea where they could be now. Makes no sense!

As for iCloud, I have not connected my Mac to my iCloud account so they would not be there either.

If you have any other ideas for me, I'm all ears!

iPhoto to Photo app transfer issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.