You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Shutting Down after 12.2 Monterey Update

Hello,

After updating to Monterey 12.2 on my 2020 iMac, my computer has shut down randomly when I put it into sleep mode at the end of the day. When I turn on my computer from shut down, I receive a message saying the computer has been shut down randomly.

This was never an issue before OS12.2. Just wondering if anybody else has this problem, and if there are any temporary fixes.

Thank you.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 2:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 4:58 PM

Greetings Witherhoard,

We see that your Mac is shutting down unexpectedly and are happy to investigate possible solutions with you.

We've got a great article that may help at If your Mac restarted because of a problem that includes steps you can check for this. If those steps don't help, use the link under "Learn More" to contact our support teams to investigate further.

Cheers!

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 30, 2022 4:58 PM in response to Witherhoard

Greetings Witherhoard,

We see that your Mac is shutting down unexpectedly and are happy to investigate possible solutions with you.

We've got a great article that may help at If your Mac restarted because of a problem that includes steps you can check for this. If those steps don't help, use the link under "Learn More" to contact our support teams to investigate further.

Cheers!

Feb 6, 2022 7:54 AM in response to Witherhoard

I met exactly the same problem after the updating. The computer was shut down three times and I had to reboot it by pressing the button on the back-side of the Mac.

This time, the 4th time the computer was shut down in the sleep mode, the Mac was rebooted. I don't need any longer to press the button to turn it on, all I need to do is to input the user password.

Hopefully this will be solved rather soon.

Feb 14, 2022 4:59 AM in response to Witherhoard

Interestingly, I have a similar, but somewhat different issue. I shutdown my Mac Mini at the end of the day (not sleep, shutdown). The next morning when I startup, I receive the "Your Mac shutdown because of an issue" on login. This started since the macOS 12.2.1 install. Other that that, I'm not running into any random restarts or shutdowns.

If anyone else is having this particular issue, I'd love to know if you found a fix (other than re-installing of course, which is such a Microsoft Windows way to fix an issue! ツ )

Feb 19, 2022 6:54 AM in response to Old_Dog_Hawaii

Interestingly enough, the issue seems to have finally resolved itself on my Mac Mini (M1). After seeing this message every day since updating to 12.2.1, I decided to login using my Administrator account to have a look at the security logs (for security purposes, my normal login is a Standard User account). On login, I received the "your machine shutdown unexpectedly, do you wish to send logs to Apple" (or something similar). I selected OK and submitted the logs. I did some digging in the "shutdown_stall" logs but not finding anything useful, I rebooted and logged in as usual, but noticed that I did not receive the "shutdown" warning message on login. It's now been gone for two straight days! Perhaps logging in that once using my Administrator account cleared a flag of some kind that my regular account did not have permissions to correct?

It could be a fluke, but figured I would report back to let other people know about this...

iMac Shutting Down after 12.2 Monterey Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.