You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone Xs TrueDepth Camera repair

Hi,

My iPhone accidently dropped the other day, it had a case, but this time the TrueDepth camera got damaged, and I am getting this "A problem was detected with the TrueDepth camera" warning.

I live in Israel, so no Apple stores here, but I went to an official reseller and they told me it can't be fixed, that I have to either live with the phone without face ID, or buy a new phone.

Can anyone told me if it can be repaired or not? anyone has any experience with getting it replaced/repaired and what would be the cost?

Thanks!

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 11:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 3:23 PM

Apple's philosophy is to replace the phone for an out of warranty fee (Other Damage) then remanufacture your phone for someone else. The teseller should offer that service if they are also an approved repairer, or send it away.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service

or: contact Apple Support 

Anything other than Screen or Battery may be a replacement phone and the price is in the article.

You can see additional service information within the following article:

Prepare your iPhone for packing and shipping

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 30, 2022 3:23 PM in response to rongros

Apple's philosophy is to replace the phone for an out of warranty fee (Other Damage) then remanufacture your phone for someone else. The teseller should offer that service if they are also an approved repairer, or send it away.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service

or: contact Apple Support 

Anything other than Screen or Battery may be a replacement phone and the price is in the article.

You can see additional service information within the following article:

Prepare your iPhone for packing and shipping

Jan 30, 2022 4:06 PM in response to rongros

Apple clearly has repair parts available for this sort of thing. They even mention camera repair. It's obvious that it should be possible to simply replace the camera and reset the system.

About genuine iPhone cameras - Apple Support
If you need to replace your iPhone camera, it's important for certified technicians who use genuine Apple camera parts to repair it.

Apple has also announced a self-repair program, although the exact details aren't known, such as how to deal with all these messages that occur unless Apple's proprietary equipment is used to clear them.. However, they clearly mention cameras.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/11/apple-announces-self-service-repair/
The initial phase of the program will focus on the most commonly serviced modules, such as the iPhone display, battery, and camera. The ability for additional repairs will be available later next year.

However, how whether or not a camera can be replaced by an AASP on the same device is another matter. I've called up an AASP in California and asked about it, and I was told that they could only replace the entire device serving as an agent and not actually replace just the camera component and return it back.

Jan 31, 2022 8:42 AM in response to LD150

Thanks.

So it seems like no one, at least in Israel really knows what to do with it.

There are 3 certified companies that repair iPhones in Israel. the first charges ~$15 for an inspection which is fair but they are the ones who were not willing to even look at the phone, just told me it can't be fixed.

the second company charges $60 just to inspect the phone, but I don't want to pay $60 just for someone to tell me that it can't be fixed, or that fixing it will cost more than buying another iPhone....

and there is no one to talk to! apple support can't help. no one! I would really appreciate if there was any way to get to an official apple service support agent...

This is really frustrating. and my faceID broke one day before 15.4 allows face recognition with a mask :(

Jan 31, 2022 9:06 AM in response to rongros

We can't discuss 15.4 beta but I can tell you it is more than a few days off.

I can tell you that because of the security aspects it cannot be repaired except by Apple or Apple certified repairer, and if they have such a presence in Israel they will/would exchange the phone for the price I indicated in my first link.

Iphone Xs TrueDepth Camera repair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.