You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad air NEW TODAY--volume buttons do nothing I cannot find information regarding the problem

I just purchased an I-PAd air 265gb

The volume buttons on the side seem to do nothing. I can trun the voume up and down in an app--Music, but the volume buttons seem to directly do nothing

iPad Air Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 5:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 3:10 PM

Good afternoon.

I did not know about the settings--sound--buttons on/off. The button was enabled to turn the valume up and down with the exterior buttons.

The problem was not with the Ipad---is is working very nicely.

The problem was with the Otter Box Pro Defender. The on/off button is larger than the Otter Box was made for. It would more than randomly puch against the Ipad button, thus keeping the unit from operating as is should.

I altered the case of the Otter Box and placed it back onto the IPad.

Everything seems to be working.

I appologize for not looking further before contacting Apple. I have Apple phones and I-pads for many years. This is the first time I have contacted the support group. I will say is is very refreshing to receive a reply as rapid as I did.

Thank you

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 31, 2022 3:10 PM in response to MichelleT18

Good afternoon.

I did not know about the settings--sound--buttons on/off. The button was enabled to turn the valume up and down with the exterior buttons.

The problem was not with the Ipad---is is working very nicely.

The problem was with the Otter Box Pro Defender. The on/off button is larger than the Otter Box was made for. It would more than randomly puch against the Ipad button, thus keeping the unit from operating as is should.

I altered the case of the Otter Box and placed it back onto the IPad.

Everything seems to be working.

I appologize for not looking further before contacting Apple. I have Apple phones and I-pads for many years. This is the first time I have contacted the support group. I will say is is very refreshing to receive a reply as rapid as I did.

Thank you

Jan 31, 2022 2:58 PM in response to DragonFree

Hello DragonFree,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities, and congratulations on your new iPad! It looks like the volume buttons on your iPad are not working within the Music app. We understand the importance of getting this issue resolved, and we'd like to help.

When you go to Go to: Settings > Sounds, do you have "Change with Buttons" turned on or off? If it is off, turn it on, and test again.

Adjust the volume on iPad

Let us know if the issue persists. Kind regards.

Ipad air NEW TODAY--volume buttons do nothing I cannot find information regarding the problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.