You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard automatically adding Command + Shift on Mac M1 Mini

I'm running Monterey on an M1 Mac mini. Periodically when I press certain keys (5, Del, etc.) the computer acts as if I've pressed Command + Shift + <the key>. As a result it becomes unusable and I have to reboot. Sometimes it fixes it and sometimes it doesn't.

Any idea if I've entered some sort of accessibility mode or something by mistake? I just want a way to turn this "feature" off.

Thanks

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 10:00 AM

8 replies

Jan 31, 2022 10:08 AM in response to Chris Stott

Forgot to mention. I've checked the keyboard settings - all reset to default. Quit all keyboard type apps (i.e., text expander, Alfred, Raycast, etc.) and it still does this. I figured out that it was adding the Command + Shift by using the keyboard viewer and then pressing one of the keys it seems to be stuck on. Other keys work fine.

Note: When I just press '5' it takes a screenshot (the Command + Shift are done automatically)

Jan 31, 2022 4:56 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it with another keyboard and it worked fine. After a bit of trial and error I figured out that if I unplug my keyboard (Satechi wired keyboard) it seems to reset and the problem goes away. I'm running it through a USB-C hub (VAVA) due to all my devices (hard drives, multiple monitors, speakers, scanner, webcam).

Feb 2, 2022 12:30 PM in response to Chris Stott

Perhaps not, could be you just need to change keyboards. You said it works with another keyboard, was that on the hub as well? I run a hub, but nearly everything on it has it's own power supply, my Epson Printer and a 2TB external Hard Drive made by Maxtor. My own keyboard is a Macally model SlimkeyC and it acts up on the hub so I switched. I use a Logitech M100 mouse that does work through the hub. The Mac mini has the USB 3 hub, a Sabrent external SSB drive, my keyboard and a Maitlan Bluray, CD and DVD player attached.

Feb 2, 2022 6:03 PM in response to bobcollard

The keyboard I tried was actually bluetooth. The challenge is that it seems to be random. I tried it for a while and I didn't see any issues (but maybe I didn't do it for long enough).

My hub is the same - each item has it's own power supply - Fujitsu Scanner, G-Drive HD and Brother printer. I also plug my second monitor into the hub - I have a Logitech M720 and C922 webcam plugged in.

Note: I had to move the Logitech dongle to the monitor as the mouse was having issues selecting text. Saw in a forum that the further the dongle is from the Mac mini the better performance.

I'll have a look and see if I can re-organize it. I think I went with my config was so I could get the two monitors working. Thanks!

Keyboard automatically adding Command + Shift on Mac M1 Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.