You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Question

I have an external drive connected to my computer. It is properly formatted. when I enter time machine options , this particular external drive is not highlighted. Does this mean time machine is not backing up this external drive? How do I tell if this external drive is being backed up? Why is it not highlighted? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 9:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 1:56 PM

Time Machine backs up all internal and external HD's (with the exception of the TM EHD itself) by default. To eliminate files, folders or drives from being backed up you need to indicate that in Time Machine - Preferences- Options and then add the files, folders or drives you DO NOT want backed up using TM.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 1, 2022 1:56 PM in response to NEH44

Time Machine backs up all internal and external HD's (with the exception of the TM EHD itself) by default. To eliminate files, folders or drives from being backed up you need to indicate that in Time Machine - Preferences- Options and then add the files, folders or drives you DO NOT want backed up using TM.

Feb 1, 2022 12:38 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi. I'm sorry about my very general question. Here are your answers:

MACOS Sierra

Late 2013

EHD Formatting: MAC Extended (Journaled)

EHD: Seagate Backup Plus Drive

This is the same disk I have chosen for the Time Machine backup. My main questions: are the additional files on this EDH supposed to be backed up also and why might this EDH be grayed out in the Time Machine options.

Thank you in advance for your reply. I hope I have given you enough information.

Time Machine Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.