You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

file compression

When I attempt to compress a folder I get an error message: "The operation couldn't be completed. Resource deadlock avoided." Any ideas as to what is going on? Thanks.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 2:52 PM

8 replies

Mar 24, 2022 12:32 PM in response to o1sowise

I figured it out!

My script backs-up critical data to OneDrive.  On the day it stopped working, I enabled a OneDrive feature called "Free Up Space."  I did that to minimize my Time Machine backup size.  I just read a blurb that said OneDrive on Mac began having trouble with this on, wait for it, Jan 30th.  

Once I reversed that, and went back to "Always Keep on This Device," the script works again!

Feb 16, 2022 2:38 PM in response to SydneyCartonEsq

I encountered this error message when running a script via cron. (completely unrelated to compression of a folder). After upgrading to Monterey 12.2.1, the error message then became "Operation not permitted". Following a quick search, I found that the problem was resolved by changing some settings in Security & Privacy e.g. add cron, terminal to have Full Disk Access.

file compression

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.