You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV black for few seconds.

Apple TV going black for few seconds at a time while show keeps playing in background. Happens multiple times

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 5:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 12:00 AM

The TV screen display (connected to the AppleTV box) goes dark every so often for a few seconds, but the audio keeps playing uninterrupted. Is this correct?

My first thought is the video handshake between the two devices keeps resetting.

I suggest trying the simplest troubleshooting steps first.

-Make sure the HDMI cable is snug in the HDMI port on the TV and on the Apple TV box.

-If you have a spare HDMI cable, use this to do a second test (to rule out if it is the cable)

-In your AppleTV general settings, go to Video and Audio and select the Check HDMI Connection.

-Did the issue start happening after any changes to your setup?

-Is your TV and your AppleTV box running the latest software?

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 2, 2022 12:00 AM in response to Valerie345

The TV screen display (connected to the AppleTV box) goes dark every so often for a few seconds, but the audio keeps playing uninterrupted. Is this correct?

My first thought is the video handshake between the two devices keeps resetting.

I suggest trying the simplest troubleshooting steps first.

-Make sure the HDMI cable is snug in the HDMI port on the TV and on the Apple TV box.

-If you have a spare HDMI cable, use this to do a second test (to rule out if it is the cable)

-In your AppleTV general settings, go to Video and Audio and select the Check HDMI Connection.

-Did the issue start happening after any changes to your setup?

-Is your TV and your AppleTV box running the latest software?

Apple TV black for few seconds.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.