You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS 12.2 Facetime No Microphone When MacBook Pro in Clamshell Mode (closed) on Thunderbolt Displays

Thinking it's likely a bug as it showed up when the 12.2 update was applied.

Basic Config:

• Macbook Pro 2019 - 16 Inch
  • 64GB/2TB/i9
  • Connected to Three Apple Thunderbolt Displays

When making FaceTime calls with the MacBook closed (clamshell mode) the microphone does not work with FaceTime. I can still select the output modes (video and audio) and all change just fine but no one can hear me. I've gone into System Settings>Sound and set the microphone level to 100% for all four microphones (built in, and all three Thunderbolt displays)

Other apps using the built in camera and microphone all work just fine (Zoom, Microsoft Teams, WebEx)

If I open the MacBook Pro while still running all three displays everything works as it should. Just doesn't work in closed clamshell mode. I've attempted and SMC reset along with doing a killall on the VDCAssistant with no change in status.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 12:12 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

MacOS 12.2 Facetime No Microphone When MacBook Pro in Clamshell Mode (closed) on Thunderbolt Displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.