You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t type password in text field to reinstall macOS

Apple iMac 27-Inch "Core i5" 3.3 (5K, Late 2015

Previous owner wiped computer clean and erased everything including the operating system. When starting in recovery mode using a wired keyboard, I get to the WIFI password text field but I can NOT type anything in that text box. I saw there was another person in 2019 who had this same issue here on this forum, but no one had an answer to solve this issue.

So, I can not access Apple's online OS disk utility to format the SSD drive and reinstall an OS because I can NOT type into the WIFI password field. I press keys and the cursor doesn't move and no characters are displayed. There is nothing wrong with the keyboard, it functions on all other areas, just not in the password text field.

Has anyone solved this issue?

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 1:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 11:13 PM

THE PROBLEM WAS SOLVED! Since there was absolutely NO operating system at all, it really couldn't connect to the internet. I plugged it into a hardwire---no wifi, and it worked just fine. I have never had this happen before, but once it was hard-wired into my internet it connected just fine.

There was NO, "Press Tab" and the mouse was wired. The problem was that the IMAC system was erased so far that it had NO WIFI capabilities. This doesn't happen often, but it does happen. So if you can't type in the password field, just plug it in directly to the internet without wifi and it will work just fine to connect to apple, via command/R and get your operating system installed.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 6, 2022 11:13 PM in response to Mal-S

THE PROBLEM WAS SOLVED! Since there was absolutely NO operating system at all, it really couldn't connect to the internet. I plugged it into a hardwire---no wifi, and it worked just fine. I have never had this happen before, but once it was hard-wired into my internet it connected just fine.

There was NO, "Press Tab" and the mouse was wired. The problem was that the IMAC system was erased so far that it had NO WIFI capabilities. This doesn't happen often, but it does happen. So if you can't type in the password field, just plug it in directly to the internet without wifi and it will work just fine to connect to apple, via command/R and get your operating system installed.

Can’t type password in text field to reinstall macOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.