You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS 12.1 (arm64 aka M1) Memory Leak in several Applications (Safari, Mail, Battle.Net to Name a few)

Has anyone else experience *VERY* high memory utilization from applications running on your M1 powered Mac?

I have a Mac mini M1 that I rarely restart or logout. So Applications like Safari, Mail, and others run for a few weeks at a time.

I first noticed that Safari will use upwards of 5-6Gb of ram -- 5GB for a web-browser that has no active windows? Of course quitting does free the memory and life continues. As does the same for Mail, though, it seems to top out at 1.5G +/-.

Battle.Net (Blizzard's all-in-one launcher utility, which is X86_64) eats lots of memory after running awhile too. I've been avoiding it, it's another one that can grab 2-3GB of memory and a quit and re-launch will get it back to a sane about of 400-500Mb.

Then I found that WindowServer eats memory, 1200Mb, when it uses only 350Mb after a fresh login -- with all my usual apps launched. Over time, it slowly consumes memory; much like the other examples I mentioned. These haven't caused any performance issues, just seems strange on a 16Gb M1 that memory pressure is being triggered. (iStat Menu)

And just for comparison; right now:

Safari (just this website open after a fresh launch) 410Mb RAM used.

Mail (open, recently quit and launched) 426Mb

WindowServer (logged in for about 36 hours) 749Mb [starts at 350Mb on fresh login]

Seems to me like a system library is leaking, abet slowly. Anyone else seen this?

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 6:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 7:05 PM

12.2 is out. See if that helps.

Similar questions

1 reply

macOS 12.1 (arm64 aka M1) Memory Leak in several Applications (Safari, Mail, Battle.Net to Name a few)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.