You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Library transfer to external hard drive

I transferred my Photos to an external hard drive some 2 years ago - successfully. Today I tried to transfer again, having deleted the original Photos Library on the external hard drive first. All goes well until about half an hour into transfer, it says the following: The operation can’t be completed because an item with the name “Photos Library” already exists. Howerver, when I check the external hard drive it certainly doesn't exist anywhere...! What has gone wrong? Much appreciate any help.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 9:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 9:13 AM

Hi

Regarding the external drive - is it correctly formatted for a photos library?

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) (preferred for spinning drives). If you have not formatted it after purchase it will most likely be ExFat - which is not compatible.

It Must not be (or have been) used for time machine. (A time machine drive can be used if re-formatted)

It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked.

It must be directly connected (No ethernet or wifi)

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 5, 2022 9:13 AM in response to TRWEN555

Hi

Regarding the external drive - is it correctly formatted for a photos library?

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) (preferred for spinning drives). If you have not formatted it after purchase it will most likely be ExFat - which is not compatible.

It Must not be (or have been) used for time machine. (A time machine drive can be used if re-formatted)

It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked.

It must be directly connected (No ethernet or wifi)

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Feb 5, 2022 10:14 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Hi Tony

Thanks. it is not used for Time Machine. It is correctly formatted for Mac. However, since I posted this I note there is a photo library for another user on the external hard drive- our Mac is partitioned for me and husband separately. I previously transferred his Photo library.... this is possibly the problem. I shall delete the copy of his library now and try again

Photo Library transfer to external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.