You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has my iPhone been hacked?

Yesterday I fell for a phishing scam and downloaded a vpn from the App Store after be prompted by a pop up that I realized was suspicious only after the fact. I realized my mistake pretty quickly. I didn’t create an account, start the free trial, or actually use the vpn at all. I deleted the app within minutes and installed a legitimate vpn (AdGuard), but now I’m paranoid because I’ve heard that fake vpns can steal all your info. Nothing on my phone looks suspicious but I cleared my browsing history just in case. Am I safe since I didn’t actually use the fake vpn? Or was downloading the app enough?

iPhone 11

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 11:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 12:11 AM

Thank you for responding! So just to make sure, there most likely wasn’t any malware installed on my phone and my information is safe? The scam was most likely just to take my money?

3 replies

Feb 7, 2022 12:04 AM in response to Dawnfore

You are safe. You initially fell for a scam that got you to purchase/subscribe an app. VPN apps, all of them, for the most part are useless. They do not do anything in the name of security. They simply hide your IP and assign another IP. If you downloaded another VPN app for security reasons, then delete that one as well and save your money.

If you would like extra peace of mind then you can change the password to your Apple ID by opening Settings ➡️ Apple ID (Your Name at Top) ➡️ Security & Password ➡️ Change Password.

Axel F.

Has my iPhone been hacked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.