You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RE: Does encrypting an ext. HDD include a password login?

Does encrypting my ext. OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pro HDD mean that each time I turn it on, a password will be required to access the files?

Also, are there any known issues with this method of encryption? It seems I do not need to erase the contents of this drive to enable encryption.

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 1:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 4:22 PM

My experience with external drive passwords is that they require the password when you mount them to your desktop. You don't have to enter password every time you access a file, just when you mount the drive. You will have to re-enter the password every time you either restart your computer or remove/reinstall the HDD.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 7, 2022 4:22 PM in response to WildBill

My experience with external drive passwords is that they require the password when you mount them to your desktop. You don't have to enter password every time you access a file, just when you mount the drive. You will have to re-enter the password every time you either restart your computer or remove/reinstall the HDD.

Feb 7, 2022 8:55 PM in response to WildBill

On an external drive, you are not using FileVault. FileVault includes the magic that lets you decrypt and login with the same credentials. The encryption is the same whether it is on a startup drive with FileVault, or with using Finder, or using Disk Utility.

You can save the password in your keychain. I believe it defaults to saving it.

RE: Does encrypting an ext. HDD include a password login?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.