You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weather report without voice recognition?

Why won't Siri on HomePod tell me the weather without demanding that I enable voice recognition? Why is such a feature necessary just to give me a **** weather forecast? Is that weather going to be different for different people?

HomePod

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 11:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 6:43 PM

Thanks for the clarification. my mistake on privacy being your concern. Disregard my mention of privacy. And I understand when something tech doesn't work as expected repeatedly, it can be frustrating.

First piece of assistance is check the Apple Support document. it may have something of value: Get help with Siri on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

My second suggestion: On your iPhone press the Home app, long press the HomePod button, scroll down to the bottom and press the Settings button, scroll down to near the bottom and make sure 'Personal Requests' is enabled. (afterwards I'd consider then hitting the Restart HomePod that is just below).

If this didn't fix it, next with your iPhone, try moving far enough away from the HomePod and ask "hey Siri, what is the temperature outside". Does the Siri request work on your iPhone?

Last suggestion, I ran into something similar when I first got my HomePods. It worked good for me but with my GF, Siri would respond to some of her requests but wouldn't respond to others (but I believe she would get 'not available right now', not the message you receive). It was because she was not a recognized member of 'my home' network. It is a bit of a process to accomplish but is it possible it doesn't see you as the primary Home Network user? Here's a doc about having multiple people use Siri: https://appletoolbox.com/siri-multiple-people/

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 9, 2022 6:43 PM in response to RegisteredUserName

Thanks for the clarification. my mistake on privacy being your concern. Disregard my mention of privacy. And I understand when something tech doesn't work as expected repeatedly, it can be frustrating.

First piece of assistance is check the Apple Support document. it may have something of value: Get help with Siri on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

My second suggestion: On your iPhone press the Home app, long press the HomePod button, scroll down to the bottom and press the Settings button, scroll down to near the bottom and make sure 'Personal Requests' is enabled. (afterwards I'd consider then hitting the Restart HomePod that is just below).

If this didn't fix it, next with your iPhone, try moving far enough away from the HomePod and ask "hey Siri, what is the temperature outside". Does the Siri request work on your iPhone?

Last suggestion, I ran into something similar when I first got my HomePods. It worked good for me but with my GF, Siri would respond to some of her requests but wouldn't respond to others (but I believe she would get 'not available right now', not the message you receive). It was because she was not a recognized member of 'my home' network. It is a bit of a process to accomplish but is it possible it doesn't see you as the primary Home Network user? Here's a doc about having multiple people use Siri: https://appletoolbox.com/siri-multiple-people/

Feb 8, 2022 7:37 PM in response to RegisteredUserName

Hi RegisteredUserName, Siri functionality is based on voice interaction between both the user and Siri. I'm not aware of a current way for Siri to provide information audibly without Siri being enabled. However, if you'd like Siri to remain disabled but HomePod still has an ability to provide you a scheduled spoken update of your weather, the best place to provide that kind of feature request is the Apple product feedback page.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Additional note: in the newest Apple updates, Siri has some ability to remain local. If enabling Siri is a privacy based concern, this option can allow you to use Siri on device for certain tasks.

Feb 9, 2022 6:41 AM in response to Tim_4_All

Perhaps I didn't explain the issue well, I might have been a bit emotional at the time - arguing with an inanimate object.

Siri is enabled. I can make verbal requests of Siri with the HomePod. What I cannot get from her though, is a weather report. Instead of replying with the weather, Siri insists that she doesn't know who is making the request and that individual voice recognition must be enabled. As if the weather report is going to be different for each requestor. Why would such a request require privacy?

Weather report without voice recognition?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.