You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I import photos directly from my iPhone to my MacBook?

When I plug my iPhone 11 into my new MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021, M1 Pro), I cannot import photos directly from the phone onto Photos on my computer. A very few random photos appear under "new photos" in Photos, but I have hundreds of other photos that don't appear. Why can't I do this very simple task? I had the same problem with this same iPhone and a much older MacBook and I figured it was just because the computer was so old, but the problem persists in this new MacBook.

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 6:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 11:42 PM

Hi

Do you have optimise storage turned on on your phone?

Once a Photo has been optimised (moved to iCloud) then it is no longer available for transfer to a Mac via USB. It is expected you will use iCloud to sync your mac/phone in this case.

1 reply

Why can't I import photos directly from my iPhone to my MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.