You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SC in Safari Search Bar Not Working

Whenever I type the letters sc on the Safari Search Bar, these letters disappear. So I can't write words like "science," "school," or "Scott." It is very disturbing and annoying. I have to use Chrome or go to google.com to avoid this. Is the problem my computer or is it Safari? Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 7:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 4:38 AM

I wanted to respond directly to this message, but I quoted the last one, sorry for the duplicate.

You can fix this by deactivating under the search Safari settings the "preload top hit in the background".

It is a bug of the search bar on Safari for sure but here is a useful workaround.

4 replies

Feb 9, 2022 1:28 PM in response to CalliGirl

Hello CalliGirl,

We're glad you thought to ask Apple Support Communities about the issue you're having with typing the letters "sc" into the Safari search bar. If you haven't already, restart your Mac as restarting can resolve many odd issues: Shut down or restart your Mac

If the behavior continues, clear Safari history to see if old data is causing this to happen: Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac

Let us know how it goes.

Take care.

Feb 20, 2022 10:28 AM in response to CalliGirl

This is happening to me too as of Feb 20. I've restarted Safari, restarted my Mac, but the problem persists. It does not happen when I type sc in any other application, including Word, Chrome, or Mail. If I hit the space bar a couple of times in the Safari search bar, then "sc" works. An awkward workaround, to be sure. Would like a permanent fix.

SC in Safari Search Bar Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.