You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to merge columns to have numbers in front of word?

(Please see screenshot)

I want them to look like this when I copy and paste from the column after they merge:

1 word

2 word

3 word

etc.

Currently, there are spaces in front of the number and word when I merge which I do not want.

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 1:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 3:54 PM

Instead of merging the cells, do this:

Click on any cell containing one of the numbers.

Press option-left arrow.

This inserts a new column to the left of the selected cell.

In the cell to the left of the first number Word pair, enter the formula shown below:

If you want no space between the number and the word

(eg. 1Word ), use this version: D2&E2

Fill down to all rows containing data to be merged.

Select the cells containing the merged data, then press command-C to Copy.

Select the first cell containing the number part of the copied data. In the Edit menu, choose Paste Formula Results to Paste the merged data(but NOT the formula which created it) into the same rows of the destination column. (Note the change in the inserted column)

Delete the inserted column (C) containing the formula and the column containing only the Words (E) or the final result.

Regards,

Barry

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 11, 2022 3:54 PM in response to trenten7

Instead of merging the cells, do this:

Click on any cell containing one of the numbers.

Press option-left arrow.

This inserts a new column to the left of the selected cell.

In the cell to the left of the first number Word pair, enter the formula shown below:

If you want no space between the number and the word

(eg. 1Word ), use this version: D2&E2

Fill down to all rows containing data to be merged.

Select the cells containing the merged data, then press command-C to Copy.

Select the first cell containing the number part of the copied data. In the Edit menu, choose Paste Formula Results to Paste the merged data(but NOT the formula which created it) into the same rows of the destination column. (Note the change in the inserted column)

Delete the inserted column (C) containing the formula and the column containing only the Words (E) or the final result.

Regards,

Barry

How to merge columns to have numbers in front of word?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.