You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! No longer able to change colored tags on files created by others

At work, we use colored tags to show the status of documents. Person A generates a document, tags it green to show it's new, puts it in a folder on the server. Person B uses the document and marks it complete by turning off the green and tagging it red. This works for us, because everyone can quickly see which items are new and which are completed.

Recently, Person B is unable to turn off the green tag. When he right-clicks or uses the File pull-down menu, the little green tagging circle does not seem to be activated -- there's no checkmark or plus sign. So nothing to click to turn it off. However, in a finder window, the document is clearly tagged green.

I am Person A. I am new to this particular workflow and Person B is starting to get annoyed.

I am having the same problem with some documents created by Person C. I can't turn off C's tags.

MacBook A (M1, 2020) Monterey 12.0.1.

I'm remote. Person B and Person C are at the office.

Thanks in advance for a solution!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 2:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 4:01 PM

Highlight one of the files with the problem such as one from Person C that you cannot turn off and right-click and select Get Info ( CMD + i ). In the window that pops up you should see a "Green" tag in the text box at the top of the Get Info box. Click in the box and delete the "Green" tag with your delete key.. Close the Get Info window and the Green dot in Finder should disappear. You can then right-click and tag with a different color or if your Apps support it tag it when you save. In Finder there should be a tag icon on the toolbar at the top of Finder that looks like a sale tag. When you hover over the icon it will say Edit Tags. You can click that button and backspace over the "Green" tag as well. Note that the name of the tags might vary. Tags can be named and a color assigned. You can have more than one type of green tag.

Some of the confusion may stem from older macOS versions that used Labels instead of Tags. Tags can be named and you can apply more than one Tag, etc. The user interface changed quite a bit along the way. Tags are most useful for searching and categorizing and grouping files.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 11, 2022 4:01 PM in response to D3termined2Learn

Highlight one of the files with the problem such as one from Person C that you cannot turn off and right-click and select Get Info ( CMD + i ). In the window that pops up you should see a "Green" tag in the text box at the top of the Get Info box. Click in the box and delete the "Green" tag with your delete key.. Close the Get Info window and the Green dot in Finder should disappear. You can then right-click and tag with a different color or if your Apps support it tag it when you save. In Finder there should be a tag icon on the toolbar at the top of Finder that looks like a sale tag. When you hover over the icon it will say Edit Tags. You can click that button and backspace over the "Green" tag as well. Note that the name of the tags might vary. Tags can be named and a color assigned. You can have more than one type of green tag.

Some of the confusion may stem from older macOS versions that used Labels instead of Tags. Tags can be named and you can apply more than one Tag, etc. The user interface changed quite a bit along the way. Tags are most useful for searching and categorizing and grouping files.

Help! No longer able to change colored tags on files created by others

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.