You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery capacity has gone from 100 to 96 in 4 months

Hey there :) I have an Apple Watch series 5 that was used only two months before me, and when I got it it had 100% battery capacity. It's been 4 months or so and it have 96% already. I don't think this is normal, at this speed in a year it won't last 14h. No other Apple Watch I had ever behaved this way

So, is it normal? And what should I do?

Apple Watch Series 5, watchOS 8

Posted on Feb 12, 2022 12:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 7:00 PM

To understand Apple Watch performance and its relation to your battery, see:

Apple Watch - Battery - Apple

Apple Watch Battery and Performance - Apple Support

“Battery life” is the amount of time your device runs before it needs to be recharged. “Battery lifespan” is the amount of time your battery lasts until it needs to be replaced. Maximize both and you’ll get the most out of your Apple devices, no matter which ones you own. See the "Tips for Apple Watch" section in:

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 27, 2022 7:00 PM in response to idoks

To understand Apple Watch performance and its relation to your battery, see:

Apple Watch - Battery - Apple

Apple Watch Battery and Performance - Apple Support

“Battery life” is the amount of time your device runs before it needs to be recharged. “Battery lifespan” is the amount of time your battery lasts until it needs to be replaced. Maximize both and you’ll get the most out of your Apple devices, no matter which ones you own. See the "Tips for Apple Watch" section in:

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Feb 13, 2022 12:21 AM in response to idoks

idoks wrote:

what should I do to prevent it other than the usual recommendations

The article I linked above has numerous recommendations. If you consider those “the usual recommendations”, then there are no other preventive measures you should take.

if this drop is normal at this speed

The article does suggest you contact Apple Support if you’re concerned.

Feb 13, 2022 7:17 AM in response to idoks

idoks wrote:

I did contact them, but I’m looking for a professional opinion here other than the manufacturer's view of things (you know how it is, they are obligating to say things that are legally safe other than helpful, and I don’t blame them).

Professional? We are all users on this user to user forum, just like you. What we know is batteries - all batteries - lose their ability to hold the same full charge they did when new, with every full cycle charge of the battery. A 1-2% decline in Battery Health is considered normal and expected battery behavior. And your battery will continue to lose battery health little by little with every battery charge.

Your Apple Watch Series 5, by your own admission has been in use and been charged for 6 months. You've lost 4% battery health, less than 1% per month. Since this is expected, what else are you expecting anyone to offer you?

Feb 13, 2022 6:20 PM in response to idoks

Do you drain your Apple Watch battery down to single digits before you charge it, or do you put it on the charger when you go to bed when the charge is more around 40-60%

Draining a Li-Ion battery to almost zero puts a huge stress on the battery, and can result in loosing capacity.

Totally unprofessional, as I'm a programmer with an ancient BSEE degree, not a chemical engineer.

Feb 14, 2022 2:53 AM in response to BobHarris

I actually trying to charge it only when it hits 10% or less because I thought it's best for the battery, although it's very inconvenient for me. So I'm actually surprised you're telling me that it's less healthy.

So if I'm wearing it to bed, what's the routine I should use in your opinion? I know you're not professional, but you sound extremely helpful :)

Feb 14, 2022 4:21 AM in response to idoks

Charge it while getting ready for bed, or a little before that.

Charge it after getting up in the morning and are getting ready, and maybe having breakfast.

At least one of those activities should take long enough to give you sufficient charge to get through the day.

Assuming you like the Apple Watch enough to get a future model (not now; but when it is time), that future model should support USB-C “Fast” charging, which should require less time to get a good charge for your day.

Battery capacity has gone from 100 to 96 in 4 months

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.