You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am receiving messages "Mac is full of Virus, click to remove virus" Is it true?

I am receiving messages "Mac is full of Virus, click to remove virus" Is it true?

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 13, 2022 5:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2022 5:32 AM

If you are seeing this browsing the web, it is a total scam as no website can know what is going on inside your computer. If you are seeing this during normal use, then you have inadvertently downloaded some adware which is again a scam.

If it is just during web browsing, simply ignore it as it is a scare tactic to part you from your money or even worse, tempt you to download malicious software.

If you are seeing this when not browsing, download and install Malwarebytes for Mac to check for something you inadvertently and remove it.

Do not download anything on the web unless it is something you specifically want and only download from the vendors site.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 13, 2022 5:32 AM in response to annabelriveracordero

If you are seeing this browsing the web, it is a total scam as no website can know what is going on inside your computer. If you are seeing this during normal use, then you have inadvertently downloaded some adware which is again a scam.

If it is just during web browsing, simply ignore it as it is a scare tactic to part you from your money or even worse, tempt you to download malicious software.

If you are seeing this when not browsing, download and install Malwarebytes for Mac to check for something you inadvertently and remove it.

Do not download anything on the web unless it is something you specifically want and only download from the vendors site.

Feb 22, 2022 5:29 PM in response to woodmeister50

I am receiving the same, and it is not only on websites. It is on startup, I had downloaded Malwarebytes prior to finding this article, and it could not find any malware on the device. Yet, the popups still exist beyond just browsing the web. Any other pointers as to how to fix this? It's been persistent for the past month since mid-Janurary when I got my laptop back from a friend.

Thanks for the help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.