You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp fails when loading Windows 10 ISO on MBP 2016 macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra

I'm having an issue where Boot Camp fails when loading the latest 64-bit Windows 10 ISO.

I'm using a MacBookPro 2016 with the OS updated as much as possible, which is limited to macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra, as of Feb 2022.

I'm not using a USB thumb drive image, nor do I have a USB mouse or keyboard.

Has anyone found a solution? I've been through several threads already but most are outdated.

Posted on Feb 13, 2022 10:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 4:37 PM

This was solved by simply upgrading macOS to something later, in this case to Big Sur

Apparently, the App Store will only automatically update macOS to High Sierra. After that, one has to manually download a newer versions of macOS so that its software updates will appear in System Preferences instead of the App Store.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 14, 2022 4:37 PM in response to yeager-meister

This was solved by simply upgrading macOS to something later, in this case to Big Sur

Apparently, the App Store will only automatically update macOS to High Sierra. After that, one has to manually download a newer versions of macOS so that its software updates will appear in System Preferences instead of the App Store.

Feb 13, 2022 10:30 AM in response to yeager-meister

Running BCA a second time directly after it fails, gives a "The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition." error. To resolve this:

1. Open the Disk Utilities app.
  2. Select the Macintosh HD partition (or equivalent) in the sidebar.
  3. Click the Partition button in the toolbar.
  4. Click the 'Partition' button in the pop-up window.
  5. Select the * sliver in the pie chart, which corresponds to the failed boot partition (here, OSXRESERVED).
  6. Click the '–' button below the pie chart.
  7. Click the BOOTCAMP sliver in the pie chart.
  8. Click the '–' button below the pie chart.
  9. Click the 'Apply' button, which opens a window confirming which partitions to remove.
  10. Click the 'Partition' button. Disk Utility should remove the failed partitions. (If it doesn't, try rebooting. Sometimes, Disk Utility is silly like that.)

Feb 13, 2022 10:14 AM in response to yeager-meister

Issue:

Boot Camp Assistant (BCA) fails at (or just after) the "Copying Windows files..." task in the installer...

...giving a a "Boot Camp Installation Failed" error saying "An error occurred while copying the Windows Installation files"...

... while a pop-up noting that "Boot Camp Assistant is trying to add a new helper tool" appears.

By the time the helper tool pop-up appears, the job has already failed. Approving the tool does not allow BCA to finish, nor does it help in subsequent runs.

Feb 13, 2022 10:45 AM in response to yeager-meister

Some articles and discussions, around 2017-2018, noted that the boot partition is formatted as FAT32 and contains a file larger than 4GB. However, this was supposedly resolved according to this article whose author had previously created a workaround for the issue. They state that BCA was updated to use ExFAT.

At the same time, as of Feb 2022, the boot partition (in High Sierra) still reports using FAT32.

A YouTuber created a walkthrough that reformats the boot partition to ExFAT while adding manually-downloaded Windows Support Software. Upon following the instructions, mounting the BOOTCAMP partition, and rebooting the computer into Windows, I end up at a low-res Windows Setup screen (like the screenshot below but much smaller because of the natively high res of the MBP). However neither the MBP's built-in keyboard nor TrackPad work, and I can't get past this screen.

Boot Camp fails when loading Windows 10 ISO on MBP 2016 macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.