You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trying to update my software on MacBook Pro and it just spins and spins and never finds update

can't seem to update my software. When I hit check for updates, it just spins and spins and never finds anything

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 1:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 4:44 PM

millourose ~ I also had this problem on Catalina and the following solved it:

1. I restarted Mac in Safe Mode
  2. Preferences > Software Update pane then worked normally
  3. Still in Safe Mode, I applied the software updates for Catalina that appeared
  4. I restarted Mac normally via menu > Restart...
  5. Preferences > Software Update pane worked normally

õ¿õ¬

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 14, 2022 4:44 PM in response to millourose

millourose ~ I also had this problem on Catalina and the following solved it:

1. I restarted Mac in Safe Mode
  2. Preferences > Software Update pane then worked normally
  3. Still in Safe Mode, I applied the software updates for Catalina that appeared
  4. I restarted Mac normally via menu > Restart...
  5. Preferences > Software Update pane worked normally

õ¿õ¬

Feb 14, 2022 5:15 PM in response to millourose

millourose Said:

"can't seem to update my software. When I hit check for updates, it just spins and spins and never finds anything"

-------

Determining which macOS(s) can be Upgraded:

What to Try:

Use Ethernet: On a computer with USB-A port, you would connect it through Ethernet, going directly into your router. For a Mac (or PC) that does not have Ethernet, this would be the adapter to use: Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Apple. If you get the same error, the model is likely incompatible.

Perform these Steps:

I. Verify Compatibility:

A. Start Here: Learn About Compatibility and how to Identify your Specific Mac Model - Apple Support

B. How to Verify:

I. Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

then...

II. Compare the Results:

See if the Model you found is shown here:

III. If Compatible:

Back Up your Mac First:  Be certain you Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reconfiguration.

Feb 15, 2022 6:49 AM in response to millourose

Update or upGrade ?

The user profile is showing MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14 which is Mojave.

If all updates to Mojave have been installed - then there are not longer any updates to Mojave.

If one really means upGrade as in UpGrade to Catalina - that is a different matter.

The Age of this computer will Govern what newer version of macOS it will Qualify to install. Use About this Mac from the Apple Icon on Desktop - the required Information will be there.

With the above information in-hand - follow this How to get old versions of macOS and verify what version this computer Qualifies to install.  For Best results use Safari to commence the download as Others may not work.

Safari will open a redirect and open the Apple Store where the download can commence.

macOS Catalina 10.15 hardware requirements

Make Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

Notation - Mojave is the Last version to support 32 bit applications / extensions and Drivers. Catalina, Big Sur & Monterey supports only 64 bit and there is no workaround.

Suggest using Go64 to find 32 bit application before attempting the upGrade. Some or many of the Application already installed may required update or upGrades to 64 Bit Versions.

trying to update my software on MacBook Pro and it just spins and spins and never finds update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.