You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this Safari pop up a virus?

I got this pop up yesterday and it slowed down safari while it was open I was able to close it and contacted support changed password cleared history and don’t see any unwanted apps, am I good? It also asked for access to camera and pop upped on the bottom of my phone to call that number, am I good?

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 5:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 5:58 AM

This looks more like a scam:

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

11 replies

Feb 16, 2022 2:31 PM in response to Imliptontea

Imliptontea wrote:

Yea I had low battery but it was lagging only when that page was open I have no clue why, after I closed it I had no problem. So there is no way there is a virus, I’m just kinda worried on why it made safari laggy

You're worried because some advertisers used words that scare you to put an idea in your head.

You're in fear for the security of your device.

But consider how you got hacked here, and not your device.

Scammers know this too—that fear can motivate us—and they know which words we fear, and they know that we ourselves are much easier to hack than are our devices.

Close the webpage, get on with what you want and need to be doing, and spend a little time to learn more about how these scams work.

if you're concerned about device security (who isn't?), enable two-factor on your Apple ID if not already, set up your recovery contact and/or trusted telephone numbers, configure and use iCloud backups or regular local backups, pick unique and robust passwords, keep your devices patched to current, and work through the list of Apple security recommendations available for you.

Scammers and advertisers won't tell you about any of that work of course, as they only want to sell you some miracle cure, err, miracle app, or they want to convince you to install the malware or the sketchy app yourself.

Advertisers and politicians routinely use fear too—words like "hacker" and "virus", here—because those work. They get us to do things against our own best interests. Here? Review and upgrade your own security, backups, passwords, and all.

Is this Safari pop up a virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.