You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sums in Numbers are not adding correctly

I have Mojave & Numbers on my iMac == Just input a bunch of numbers in column H and added them up [sum] and came up with $2million-plus -- there is no way in heck that the sum should be that large == I checked each of the numbers and they are correctly input == the actual total should be around $40K -- but as you can see, I get a weird number entirely [there are no cents in the numbers being added] - sorry about the images = I do screenshots but image insertion won't take them as such.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 9:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 8:22 PM

Subtotal can do it. Just discovered that a few minutes ago. Never used it before but got to wondering if it had that capability.

To sum column B, ignoring hidden rows,

=SUBTOTAL(109,B)

109 is the SUM function with hidden rows ignored. That includes those manually hidden and those hidden by a filter.

One caveat: SUBTOTAL will not include the results of any other subtotals in its results.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 19, 2022 8:22 PM in response to Victoria Herring

Subtotal can do it. Just discovered that a few minutes ago. Never used it before but got to wondering if it had that capability.

To sum column B, ignoring hidden rows,

=SUBTOTAL(109,B)

109 is the SUM function with hidden rows ignored. That includes those manually hidden and those hidden by a filter.

One caveat: SUBTOTAL will not include the results of any other subtotals in its results.

Feb 19, 2022 4:56 PM in response to Badunit

I think I may have figured it out = =tho it doesn't explain totally why == I went back to the original document = it did have a couple of rows with $1mil+ items in them = I did not delete them, I only hid them, figuring the Sum would be of the rows I saw and not the whole document == but apparently SUM will add up all the rows, hidden or not -- so if the ## is wrong it's because of hiding a row and not deleting it == When I went back and deleted the hidden rows the total was correct.

Rather irritating really that in order to do proper sums one can't just hide data but. has to totally delete it.

Feb 19, 2022 11:45 AM in response to Searchin99

Thank you - the formula is the one in the image above = I just highlighted from H2 through H37 and still get the $2mil figure == no cells from elsewhere highlighted = only the ones in that row -- most of the ## in the cells are $500 which is why I know we're nowhere near $2mil.

I did just divide the chart into 3 subparts and do Sum additions on the columns within each part == the first two were just fine but the last one ends up with $48K and some cents even tho there are no cents at all in the numbers and the total is really about $7K - I did copy over those 10 or so numbers to a fresh column and added them up and they came out correctly!!! -- so there is something messed up in those items =- but can't understand what ==

Feb 20, 2022 8:25 AM in response to Badunit

I just tried it several times == and get the red triangle - I'm doing =SUBTOTAL (36,H) - 36 being the last row [36th] in the column and the column designation being "H" -- the FX before I click on it says SUBTOTAL (36, "Net Dollar Amount") and when I click it get the red triangle == must be doing something wrong. I'm not even getting that $2mil figure. I'll keep working on. it - thanks for the lead.

Sums in Numbers are not adding correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.