You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant freezes near the end of 'Transferring your information'

My Migration Assistant on my new MacBook Pro freezes at various stages during my attempt to migrate from my old iMac using the Time Machine backup on a 4 Tb USB external HD (last backup last evening). Currently it has transferred most data over several hours but then froze during 'Updating your system settings' with 'Transferred 1019641 files. About 13 minutes remaining at 270 kb/s'. My new 14" MacBook Pro has some transferred material on it but no non-Apple apps and my file structure is not visible in Finder. Help!

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 1:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 5:58 AM

tram260 wrote:

My Migration Assistant on my new MacBook Pro freezes at various stages during my attempt to migrate from my old iMac using the Time Machine backup on a 4 Tb USB external HD (last backup last evening). Currently it has transferred most data over several hours but then froze during 'Updating your system settings' with 'Transferred 1019641 files. About 13 minutes remaining at 270 kb/s'. My new 14" MacBook Pro has some transferred material on it but no non-Apple apps and my file structure is not visible in Finder. Help!

If you have an alternate back-up, try that... and compare your results .

It sounds like something is corrupt on your "on a 4 Tb USB external HD"

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 21, 2022 5:58 AM in response to tram260

tram260 wrote:

If you have an alternate back-up, try that... and compare your results .

It sounds like something is corrupt on your "on a 4 Tb USB external HD"

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

Migration Assistant freezes near the end of 'Transferring your information'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.