You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where to find older MacOS for download

My Wife's Mac mini (Late 2014). I think it had 10.11 since new.

It was time to update the OS - finally - So I started the process. After a couple hours, I had the new operating system. It now has Monterey. OS 12.1.

What the heck?

The first problem is that it runs like molasses in winter. 4GB RAM and a 500 Hard disc drive.

I'm really upset I couldn't even get her Mac mail to work (Google server). I can only get it through web-mail.

I didn't want that OS. I was just hoping to get something newer than 10.11. Perhaps Mojave. High Sierra.

Instead I ended up with Montezuma's revenge.

Luckily, I backed up the important stuff.

I wiped the drive hoping that I could just install something newer than 10.11 via USB. I've done it before on other machines in my home. Should be no problem.

Big problem. I can't download anything other than Monterey.

Using other Macs, I've gone to the "support" page and follow the trail to the OS I want to try - takes me to the App Store, no download or get button. I can see the preview page for a bunch of OS's, but I can't download anything on another machine - to make a bootable USB device - and then wipe and start fresh.

Tried every conceivable method to get a proper working copy of the OS. ANY OS that is compatible with this lowly mini. No luck. I even checked out non-Apple sites, but thought the better of it.

I'm not interested in getting more memory and an SSD drive to help with performance (it is such a dog).

If anybody knows something I don't, I would love to hear it.

I saw another post that said I could install the originally installed OS on the machine by doing a restore from the internet, but then what - if I can't bump the machine up to a newer OS (not Monterey!!), then I'm still stuck.

Thanks Apple - "Look what you've done to my boy!"

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 1:48 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 21, 2022 6:58 AM in response to Mr.Maggoo

I'd get a SSD and install Mojave (especially if you have 32-bit apps) or Monterey to it.

But if you insist using the old spinning HDD as a boot drive, I'd recommend High Sierra on a Mac OS Extended (not APFS) formatted disk (although our macBook mid 2010 is very slow even with it and I have considered putting a smallish SSD in it). All later macOS needs APFS which is very slow on old HDDs.

My old Mac mini late 2009 got a new very much faster life with a SSD and El Capitan.

where to find older MacOS for download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.