You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an old macbook pro mid-2012 13inch laptop and has El Capitan as OS. I want to upgrade the OS

Can anyone share tips on how to upgrade my OS from El Capitan to next OS?

As I need to download some apps but cannot do so due to higher Mac OS required.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 5:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 6:29 AM

The latest macOS that would work with your MacBook Pro is macOS Catalina 10.15.7. Please see my steps below to upgrade:

1) Back up your Mac's contents using Time Machine: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support - Please keep in mind that 32 bit apps will not run on any macOS past Mojave 10.14

2) Visit this link to download older versions of macOS: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support (make sure you are using Safari!)

3) Scroll down to find the Catalina link and click it to download the installer from the App Store.

4) After the download is finished, launch the installer and follow the instructions to install it.

5) In the setup process for Catalina, use Migration Assistant to restore your files and apps: Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 22, 2022 6:29 AM in response to Milton1983

The latest macOS that would work with your MacBook Pro is macOS Catalina 10.15.7. Please see my steps below to upgrade:

1) Back up your Mac's contents using Time Machine: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support - Please keep in mind that 32 bit apps will not run on any macOS past Mojave 10.14

2) Visit this link to download older versions of macOS: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support (make sure you are using Safari!)

3) Scroll down to find the Catalina link and click it to download the installer from the App Store.

4) After the download is finished, launch the installer and follow the instructions to install it.

5) In the setup process for Catalina, use Migration Assistant to restore your files and apps: Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

I have an old macbook pro mid-2012 13inch laptop and has El Capitan as OS. I want to upgrade the OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.