You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 iMac will not load disk in optical reader

First, the reader icon does not show up anywhere.

Second, when I restart or do any of the suggested fixes, the reader whirls and goes through the eject cycle.

There is complete resistance when attempting to insert a DVD or CD.

If there is no fix, is there a plug-n-play external reader that will work with this mid-2011 iMac (High Sierra)?

TIA for any solution.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 7:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2022 12:12 PM

Since my iMac no longer recognizes its internal OR, might not be a problem.

The internal optical drive is on its own data bus. An external optical disk reader uses the USB ports, which are a different bus. If other USB devices work today, an external USB drive should also.

An external optical drive should not require any extra software. Disk burning on a 2011 model should be supported through the OS without extra apps.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 2, 2022 12:12 PM in response to basementdogs

Since my iMac no longer recognizes its internal OR, might not be a problem.

The internal optical drive is on its own data bus. An external optical disk reader uses the USB ports, which are a different bus. If other USB devices work today, an external USB drive should also.

An external optical drive should not require any extra software. Disk burning on a 2011 model should be supported through the OS without extra apps.

Feb 25, 2022 7:29 AM in response to basementdogs

The SuperDrive may have either failed or needs cleaning. Go to your local office supply store and buy a CD/DVD cleaning kit and see if you can clean the lasers on the SuperDrive. If that does not work, then the drive is likely gone and you can use an external USB drive. If replacement is the only option I would recommend visiting www.macsales.com, they many different options all are guaranteed to work and you can find one that suits your budget and needs.

Feb 25, 2022 8:22 AM in response to basementdogs

There were some optical drives used in iMacs orf the vintage that had a "safety fence" that deployed across the optical drive slot when the drive failed. The idea was to prevent disks from being forever lost in a dead drive. Can you look in the slot with a light and tell us if you see anything blocking the slot? If so, the drive is truly dead.

I always use the cleaning disk option first because it has amazed me how many "dead" drives suddenly return to full function after a cleaning. I've used my disk to resurrect drives in three older MacBook Pros whose Superdrives were pronounced dead and gone by a certified Apple tech. However, if the safety fence has deployed, your drive is really dead.

+1 on the OWC external drives.

2011 iMac will not load disk in optical reader

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.