You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I reinstall macOS will I loose my current data

Circle with line on start up. Checked for errors via disk utility. No errors found. If I reinstall macOS will I loose my current data on my Mac?

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 9:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 9:50 AM

Kgburyn wrote:

Circle with line on start up. Checked for errors via disk utility. No errors found. If I reinstall macOS will I loose my current data on my Mac?

Reinstalling the macOS on top of your existing macOS does not remove user data— it is a known method to resolve issues.

How to reinstall macOS

Recovery (both M1 and Intel) — https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

ref: If your Mac starts up to a circle with a line through it

If your Mac starts up to a circle with a line through it - Apple Support

Always advised to have a current backup plan.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 25, 2022 9:50 AM in response to Kgburyn

Kgburyn wrote:

Reinstalling the macOS on top of your existing macOS does not remove user data— it is a known method to resolve issues.

How to reinstall macOS

Recovery (both M1 and Intel) — https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

ref: If your Mac starts up to a circle with a line through it

If your Mac starts up to a circle with a line through it - Apple Support

Always advised to have a current backup plan.

If I reinstall macOS will I loose my current data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.