You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant assistance needed

I received my MacBook Pro back from being serviced (battery failure) … The “Migration Assistant” wants to know how to transfer my information…. I do not have an external drive with a back up - I assume data is backed up in “Time Machine” … I don’t know how to access this data. How do I get my data back?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 12:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 10:00 AM

Kat_here wrote:

I received my MacBook Pro back from being serviced (battery failure) … The “Migration Assistant” wants to know how to transfer my information…. I do not have an external drive with a back up - I assume data is backed up in “Time Machine” … I don’t know how to access this data. How do I get my data back?

If you do not have a backup external drive, then there is nothing to migrate from...

unless you have another backup of some sort.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

restore items backed up with Time Machine

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support recommends having a current backup plan in place

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 26, 2022 10:00 AM in response to Kat_here

Kat_here wrote:

If you do not have a backup external drive, then there is nothing to migrate from...

unless you have another backup of some sort.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

restore items backed up with Time Machine

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support recommends having a current backup plan in place

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Migration Assistant assistance needed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.