You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where do you actually enter the required 6 digit verification code when trying to use Apple TV on an Apple TV 3rd gen box?

Where do you actually enter the required 6 digit verification code when trying to use Apple TV on an Apple TV 3rd gen box? I have never found a method that works.

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 10:35 AM

3 replies

Feb 27, 2022 11:16 AM in response to spencerfromalbuquerque

Enter it in the same place as the password immediately following the password.

See the following from Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

If you use two-factor authentication with devices running older OS versions—like an Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation)—you might be asked to add your six-digit verification code to the end of your password when signing in. Get your verification code from a trusted device running iOS 9 and later or OS X El Capitan and later, or have it sent to your trusted phone number. Then type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field.

Feb 27, 2022 3:07 PM in response to spencerfromalbuquerque

If you have an Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation) and two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, then you may be asked to type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field. Additionally, there is a time limit, after which the code becomes invalid.

Try this: First enter the characters of your password (do not submit yet), then manually request a new verification code, then append that code to the password (no spaces or other separating characters), and then submit. That should help you get passed the time limit.

Feb 27, 2022 2:58 PM in response to FoxFifth

Well, that sure did not work for me. I tried to be unusually careful when entering the password followed by the code. I did it multiple times, even different days. Of course, I got a new code each time and used it quickly. No luck. And my Apple TV box works just fine for Netflix, Prime Video, PBS etc. And Apple TV+ worked on my MacBook. Oh well. Sorry Apple, you lost a customer for that service.

Where do you actually enter the required 6 digit verification code when trying to use Apple TV on an Apple TV 3rd gen box?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.