You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Same profile pic in 2 users - Monterey

I have 2 users on my MacBook Pro running Monterey - both set up with their own unique Apple ID. Every time a profile pic is updated on either user the other users photo is updated.

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 4:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2022 11:24 PM

I take it that this also updates the two photos in iCloud, right? What if you change the photo for one account directly in icloud.com, does it propagate back to the user account - and the other also? Very intriguing.

Similar questions

11 replies

Feb 28, 2022 12:08 PM in response to MJW66

Hello there MJW66,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We can understand the concern with this trouble you're having, and we're happy to help. So we can clarify, are both users on that Mac under a user group? By doing so, this would allow both users the same specific privileges while using the Mac. This would also explain why the photos on both users changes every time a photo is updated. You can get more info on this here:

Set up users, guests and groups on Mac

Feel free to reach back out if you have any questions.

Have a great day!

Mar 7, 2022 1:25 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I am not seeing the same update to my iCloud photo. I have multiple Mac & iOS devices (phone, iPad, TV x 2, MacBook, iMac) and am not seeing the photo harmonize across all devices. The only devices which don't seem to harmonize to the same iCloud photo are my MacBook Air (running Monterey). My old iMac harmonizes to the same iCloud photo. There seems to be 2 issues - harmonization of the iCloud photo and the overwriting of other users on the MacBook Air running Monterey. I have already deleted and added back the secondary user only to see the issue still occur. Thanks for your thoughts and assistance.

Mar 8, 2022 1:36 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your continued support! Changing the photo on the MBA via System Preferences seems to have propagated to the secondary account. I also signed out (changed password) on the primary account and got the same result. I am not seeing any associated references to the two accounts but they are linked via Family Sharing. The secondary (kids) account has its own Apple ID & e-mail address.

Mar 11, 2022 6:33 AM in response to MJW66

I finally tried the "nuclear option" and created new users (new Apple ID's) to see if the issue replicated across the new users. Created 2 new users (via Family Sharing) and changed profile photo several times. No change to my (Admin) photo. Changed the original user account photo and this change carried over to my (Admin) photo, but not the 2 new users. I will (eventually) delete the problematic user as I migrate the 2 new users to the new profile. At this point it seems like there is some issue with the user profile/configuration although everything is set up identical to the 2 new users. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Same profile pic in 2 users - Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.