You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move file instead of copy with drag and drop

Hi everyone,

I've seen a lot of discussion online about this topic, but the discussions always seem to turn into a debate about why copying a file is safer that moving or that the user should hold down key combinations to change from copy to move, etc. I'm hoping to avoid a debate and find a straight answer.

So, about a month ago, I upgraded from Big Sur to Mavericks and then had to downgrade because of an ongoing issue with Finder and a "spring-back effect". Since going back to Big Sur, anytime I drag a file to a folder within the same partition, it copies the file instead of just moving it. This is a new behaviour I've never experienced in any version of OS. Some people have said copying is the default for OS, which is just weird to me.

I'd like to change that default behaviour to only move files, not copy. Copying causes me to lose disk space by having two or more of the exact file on my drive. Call me lazy, but I don't feel I should have to hold keys down to accomplish this. If anyone has a solution, I'd greatly appreciate your guidance.

Thanks in advance!

Mac mini, macOS 11.5

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 5:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 6:27 AM

In Big Sur 11.6.4, dragging a file from the Desktop (as an example) to a folder on the Desktop results in a move operation. To only copy, use the option key while dragging. You can also undo either the move or copy by pressing ⌘z.

If you have a USB stick or other mounted drive on the Desktop, then drag and drop does a copy, and you need to use the ⌘-key to force a move operation.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 4, 2022 6:27 AM in response to CyberWrek1

In Big Sur 11.6.4, dragging a file from the Desktop (as an example) to a folder on the Desktop results in a move operation. To only copy, use the option key while dragging. You can also undo either the move or copy by pressing ⌘z.

If you have a USB stick or other mounted drive on the Desktop, then drag and drop does a copy, and you need to use the ⌘-key to force a move operation.

Mar 4, 2022 6:27 AM in response to CyberWrek1

CyberWrek1 wrote:

Since going back to Big Sur, anytime I drag a file to a folder within the same partition, it copies the file instead of just moving it. This is a new behaviour I've never experienced in any version of OS.

Dragging and dropping a file on the same partition/container/volume should not make a copy.

Some people have said copying is the default for OS, which is just weird to me.

"Some people" are incorrect.

Mar 4, 2022 7:13 AM in response to VikingOSX

Your responses helped me realize something. I have an external drive where all my personal files are stored. My OS runs on an internal SSD. As a test, I set up two folders on my desktop and transferred files between them. They were "moved," not "copied," as I was expecting. But transferring between my desktop folder and my personal drive, the files get copied.

Totally understand now. It still sucks because that external drive is treated as an internal drive. I just can't install a second drive into my Mac Mini, so it stays external.

Thank you both for your enlightenment. Much appreciated! If there's some way of forcing Big Sur to treat my external drive as internal so things can just automatically be moved instead of copied, I'd welcome the guidance. Thanks!

Move file instead of copy with drag and drop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.